Bernard Venables fishes the Kennet for roach

The Flying Tench

I don't know how I've managed for the last 56yrs, I fished a pin for most of it, (exclusively for the first 8 or 9 yrs). I've fished slow rivers as well as fast, canals, and stillwaters. I've legered, fished a waggler, and spun, with them, and all this without using the wallis cast, and (shock horror), with the line coming off the top of the reel! I've used bearing reels, 'true' pins, and some that just rotated on a spindle, some have been very free running, some I had to feed off with my hands. Despite all these handicaps, I've caught fish, won my share of matches during my match days, but most of all, I've enjoyed fishing with a pin, because I feel comfortable with one.

I know people who hand feed line from closedface, and fixed spool reels when trotting, mainly because they feel comfortable doing it that way, it suits them. It might not be the "proper" way, but it's their way, and they're used to it.

I find it strange that BV has been criticised for his centre pin skills, or lack of, when the method he is using is not the one described in the title, which I thought was the most obvious fault with the film.

John.

Very true, John. Not "stret-pegging" at all, just trotting and occasionally holding back.

A pity about the dubbed shots of battered roach in the tank, but nice to see the one roach caught looked in better nick.

We had a discussion recently re stret pegging, and as John says, this cllip is nothing of the sort.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Another Thames session today before the rains come tomorrow. Took a while to build up the swim but eventually the roach came, all of a good stamp again with this one being the best at 1-06.

DSCN1485_zps9fwvbtp5.jpg

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Cracking days fishing in the end mate, & a cracking roach whether that is 1.06 kg (2 lb +) or 1 lb 6 oz - or 1 lb 0 oz & 6 Drammes ??

Nice fish that anyone would be pleased to see in the net!!

Well done.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Cracking Roach Rusty ,some chub came from the crease swim today

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: