J W Youngs Trotter 13 -15

barbelbarmy

Just received the J W Young' 13 - 15 trotter for Christmas. I new I was receiving the rod and have already mentioned, on another topic, the issues I have had with what Young's state the rod is supplied with in regards to a rod case.

below is an extract from their site regarding the rod:

J.W. Young Coarse Rods

A perfect mix of traditional looks and modern specifications, the J W Young range of rods cover a wide spectrum of angling situations, from small streams which can hold big fish, to large rivers and lakes where stronger and longer tackle is needed. Each rod features a top quality blank and fittings, plus all our rods are supplied inside a hard tube for the travel models, or a ready rod pouch so you can take “made up” rods with you for quick preparation when you reach the river; that’s also a great time saver on short evening or morning sessions. Several models come supplied with both Avon and quiver sections, with three interchangeable tips to suit the conditions. The tips are painted white for high visibility and each rod is finished in a beautiful light brown, for a traditional feel. The full cork handle and fore grips add to the aesthetic of what are some of the most stunning barbel and coarse rods on the market. The range also features three Trotter rods to match with our superb centrepin reels. These can be fished at duel lengths to offer two rods in one and enable the angler to change styles and depths if required throughout the day.

Model: JW youngs 13-15ft trotter Code: 10562 Barcode: 9312327799507 Length(imperial): 13-15' Pieces: 3+ext Rating: 2-7lb Find a store: Enter your city or

Now for a closer look at the rod, the first thing I noticed is that the blank has the main line range on it, great as over time I always forget this, however it states 3 -6 lb which contradicts the above.

Guides are all large and stand off, apart from the last five at the tip which causes an unsightly step but hopefully will not effect the usage.

Second thing I like to do is to run line through the guides and check if the tip causes line wear, it did do partly on pulling back down towards the butt, will need to change this eventually.

Next I check the balance point with a Young's BJ reel attached. This was found to be 9.5 inches from the butt at 13ft and 15.5 at 15ft. This is similar to other rods I have of this type and also shows it will be a lot harder to use at 15ft.

Total rod weight is 270 / 312 gram for 13/15 respectively, This is 80 gram more than my Barbel float rod. and 90 more than the Grey's Prodigy Float.

Guides, it has 14/15 dependent on length, less than all but my Hardy Marksman.

Of course this all means nothing compared to how it behaves during use. I will feed back after some outings.

Hope they have still included the hinged hook keeper so one doesn't have to stick the hook in the cork handle when the rod is not in use & put behind you when another rod is being used ??

My J.W. Young 13 foot specimen float rods have.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

will be trying it on Thursday. Had it out comparing with other rods today, feels a lot heavier although only 90 g more than the Grey's, will see what like in action. most of the extra weight is in the butt section.

Mmm, 90g's is quite a lot, especially over a few hours trotting. If it's mainly in the butt section it shouldn't be as bad though. Maybe being that much heavier it'll be powerful....a good barbel trotting rod ?

To give your arm a rest for ten minutes or so - it's possible to trot (especially the margins) with the rod in a rod rest which has a slot/dip in the bottom so the line runs through freely, & with the rod Butt across your knee & the reel between the rest & your knee.

Works best of course with a centrepin.

Using an extending Bank Stick will also give you more positional options.

The Lazy Angler (ME) will always find a way lol.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

As one of my dogs always insists on sitting in front of me I have at times found the to of her head a perfect rod rest. Just wondering how to cut a vee in it!

Log splitting axe should do it but wedge dog into correct position until rigour mortis sets in

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well used it today and yes I did feel that extra weight. I set it up along side my old BJ Float and you could really tell the difference. Even more surprising when you consider that the BJ is for lines up to 10lb. One thing that seemed good was the casting accuracy, I did seem to have no problem adapting to this.

Had some nice Grayling on sweetcorn, Young's describe this as a fast action rod, it didn't particularly seem fast action. I would class this as having a feel of a specimen rod even though it says a max of 6lb on the blank.

Lets see how it fairs on Saturday.