High end graphite IM6 - IM7 - IM8

Phone

All,

76 Jerry's reel problem brought up the topic at "coffee". As do most conversations at coffee we pretty much run through it all. I didn't realize how little I knew about the "high end graphite" rods.

This site (article) was recommended by one of the guys (after he reminded me of my total ignorance about the subject - we are always so kind to one another)

http://www.kistlerrods.com/fishing-rod/gary-loomis-talks-about-rod-breakage/subpage230.html#.WGVxhPkrLIU

Phone

Interesting article and I too found out how few of the "facts" I knew were actually true.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Stephen Fry, of QIXL fame, maintains there is No such thing as a fact!!

"Facts"?? Can & do change.

For instance the guy on the site above merely demonstrated that he could break 2nd the rod by simulating similar conditions to which the angler (to his credit eventually) owned up to!!

The first rod could just have easily been flawed/cracked.

They are merely rules based on present knowledge, opinions & thesis of the day.

For Instance it was once a fact that if one sailed too far, one would fall off the edge of the earth.

Not so as has now been proved.

We're finding out new & exciting changes to present knowledge almost everyday.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I've seen this article before somewhere and remember thinking ...how could this chap be so sure that to break one of these rods it must have been damaged by the angler.

To say that the rod would only have broken because the angler must have damaged it first is nonsense imo. Obviously that could easily be the cause but the angler may never have banged it, it may have had a fault or been damaged /banged etc before the angler purchased it. I know of people who've bought a rod brand new, got it out of the bag, assembled it and it's broke off as they've waggled it, i've actually witnessed it myself. I've seen it happen in shops with expensive rods when people are looking at them with a view to buy.

That article is just trying to blame the anglers for any faults in their rods....maybe put people off claiming for a replacement.

Just under 40 years ago, I bought the Shakespeare President rod from my workmate's "Empire Stores" Catalogue. (Club as call it we over here)

On arrival it had a distinct "CLICK" when built up somewhere in the blank.

It was £99 to buy outright (Weeks wage was about £100 then, & I was on top money for engineering in the day)

It went back & was replaced within a couple of days "BECAUSE I HADN'T PAID FOR IT"!!!!!

Like our Dad always said - Ya' don't get much for your money these days & once you've parted with it - Ya' get even less!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Why Loomas chose to site an example is not the purpose of my posting the article. However, the point he was making was about the construction material. You've made a bad assumption. This rod was several years old. Loomas is an unchallenged expert.

Did you know the "difference" between the IM designates? I though it was "technical". It is merely marketing. I can call my new rod an IM10 if I wish. THERE is NO STANDARD.

Phone

Tigger,

That's what I thought also. Not true - It's all BS except for---- "Hexcel and yet [all others] identify their rods as being IM6, IM7 and IM8, which means nothing."

I'm sure we are not alone having been taken for "suckers". But in reality it is EXACTLY why you should handle a rod before you buy. Ultimately, the pleasure is your's alone. "Courses for horses" couldn't be any truer.

Phone