Recognise this reel anyone?

philocalist

When you hover the mouse magnifier over the end photo' - you'll see the ratchet sprocket is clearly stamped GWC 040.

Still no idea of the make but look at the link below - It seems very possible that this is an Inventory mark from the "George Watson's College Angling Club".

The college among other things taught students how to fish AND supplied the tackle. Makes sense then that the college would need to be able to Identify their gear at the end of a days fishing.

I just wonder??

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiFvcmn_aPRAhWpDsAKHUZEBiAQFggoMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gwc.org.uk%2Fbeyond-the-classroom%2Fclubs-and-societies%2Fangling-club%2F&usg=AFQjCNEC5kVc34enbkcj69WpTxWnyRvJfw&sig2=PcSds8aGdm2ZKDSJtjs1zg

Now I'm not saying they had 40 or more reels like this but might be Item 40 in their list of available tackle to lend out??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

It looks like it might be a silver version of the 'anglers net centrepin' (developed on this very forum) Lol.

See pic:

PB190242_edited.jpg

The 'Anglers Net Centrepin' .

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Martin, as Keith says, it's an Anglersnet 'pin. Made by one of our members a few years ago, not sure how many were made, but not that many. When it was being developed, Andy took advice from many of the members as to what it should look like, and what features it should have.

I don't know if Elton had any left from the original couple of batches.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

There was a black one for sale somewhere recently also. There where a few AN members got kitted out with them. It was one of AN's members who actually made them! People who have them say they take a very low inertia to start to rotate.

I had it pegged for an AN pin too, even thought it has not got the characteristic engraving on the back plate ... not too surprised, as I bought one myself from the original manufacturer relatively recently, and they gave me the option of engraved, or not.

Yup - AN pin (I have the original prototype !) - being sold by the original maker of them - if I'm not mistaken! They were made for AN by Andy ??- his AN name was Jigotai - a Judo move I believe. So I reckon Andy2667judo is one and the same!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

It's a pity Andy didn't machine it out so the spokes where nearer to the front of the spool so you could wind in with your finger between them. The reels look well made and solid, he did a great job of 'em!

Lovely reels, not used one in a while, but then I haven't been fishing for a while. Jigotai brought a few samples along to an AN fish-in a few year's back.

I had a spin, and quick trot. Lovely. I used to have loads of pins, now down to three. Kids cost me a fortune.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."