Are bait boats worth the money?

wellyphant

Being more of a traditional angler, ie. one that thinks casting is an essential part of a days fishing, I've always thought that the use of bait boats is tantamount to cheating and have therefore resisted the temptation to buy one. After quite a lot of blanks whilst Pike fishing in the lake district however, I've been tempted to give myself a better chance of putting fish on the bank by getting one.

A couple of days ago, I was very close to clicking 'buy' on a bait boat called the Lake Reaper but just before I did, I decided to have a quick look on youtube where I found a couple of interesting videos. The boat seemed decent enough but a comment under one of the videos stopped me from going ahead with a purchase.

The comment was as follows,

"Not knocking the boat in any way but where the hell do they get their prices from? This is very low technology equipment compared to that of radio controlled aircraft. Model fliers went over to using brushless motors and lithium polymer batteries twelve years ago. For this sort of money i can buy a very sophisticated radio controlled helicopter, built and ready to fly all made from carbon fiber and fitted with a three axis stabilizing gyro. All with a level of technology that makes even 600 quid bait boats look stone-age"

Does this guy have a point? I suspect that bait boat manufactures charge as much as they do simply because anglers are prepared to pay that much and if flying model choppers was as popular as fishing, their hobby would cost them considerably more.

Should I part with the cash or carry on blanking on principal?

Edited by wellyphant

They are two types of fishing tackle. One kind is for catching fish the other is for catching anglers with limited critical thinking abilities.

• Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

welly,

In the US they are a fun toy on a calm slow day. Other than that I've not got much good to say about them. On very large water I've seen guys use them as markers when trying to cast 200+meters. The go well with a single malt.

Phone

You could just buy a cheap & cheerful Inflatable Dinghy - paddle it out & drop the bait where you want. (20 - £30 or so)

I've also seen on Telly where a rowing boat is supplied by the fishery for FREE & could be used for the same purpose!!

OK - the swim may well be disturbed for an hour or so?? but if it's a holding place for Pike - They'll return!!

You'll also need to wear a Life Jacket - There's not a fish in the world worth the risk of your Life.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yes An

Plus the cost of a good life jacket. Keep in mind the waters being fished and the time of year. A £20 dinghy could be woefuly inadequate.

Yes Andy, I'm fully aware of that - I was just saying it can be done for many times less than the £600 (For a Bait Boat)

We are talking Lake fishing here?? where a fairly cheap Dinghy would be perfectly adequate (the 20 - £30 range was merely a suggestion on a calm day!!)

The Lake District waters can indeed be decidedly choppy, especially this time of year. I'd expect however that an Individual would use their own Judgement as to the Risks on a given day!!

I could be Sea Sick on a Damp Lawn. :boat:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I think you're asking the wrong question.

Is catching a few Pike from one particular type of lake worth the money?

My answer to both yours and mine would be "No".

Yes An

Yes Andy, I'm fully aware of that - I was just saying it can be done for many times less than the £600 (For a Bait Boat)

We are talking Lake fishing here?? where a fairly cheap Dinghy would be perfectly adequate (the 20 - £30 range was merely a suggestion on a calm day!!)

The Lake District waters can indeed be decidedly choppy, especially this time of year. I'd expect however that an Individual would use their own Judgement as to the Risks on a given day!!

I could be Sea Sick on a Damp Lawn. :boat:

people can be stupid you give them too much credit, you wouldnt catch me out in a £20-£30 inflatable dinghy in any conditions. more so taking a set of trebles out :o

I was trying to fix an old outboard not that long ago, it was overheating. it took only 2-3 minutes for me to go out the harbour and around the back of an island to then head back to the harbour. by the time I had got to the back of the island the weather turned really horrible in the space of a few seconds while sheltered behind the island and as I emerged it got a bit scary with white horses all over the place (large white waves) powerful wind blowing towards me from where I had to get to, being side on to it felt like the boat was going to tip before I managed to point it nose first into the wind. a dinghy would have been trashed even only going out about 100-200 yards, to hell with that :unsure:

I pleaded with the outboard not to die on me while it boiled the cooling water coming out the tell tale. I had the foresight to take oars with me just incase.

Its hardly a big water, 102 acres, 11-13ft in its deepest part.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

It depends on what £20 buys ,we bought an ex army inflatable for £20 we fished nab tower many times from it ,it eventually died overwintering in my mates garage when mice decided its tasty.

We spent many happy years on the south coast in plastic dingies (one we made a sailing dingy) you just dont do it in bad weather.

As for bait boats its your choice but i would never ever risk fishing in snags incase the fish got tangled and its pretty pointless fishing in the middle of a lake if all the fish are mooching under the bank looking for food chucked in by the daytime anglers

After years of looking (something a great number of anglers do not do) i am convinced carp follow ducks and ducks know when anglers are ready (thinking about it i am sure) to pack up ,just look and take notice its cheaper than buying a boat that doesnt come with a cast iron warrenty it will catch more fish

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson