Are bait boats worth the money?

wellyphant

Chesters1,

It comes with a cast iron warranty if you catch fish (carp) they will be the smaller fish in the lake.

I concede, with carp the issue is different in the UK than in the US. We have plenty of carp.

Welly,

Once owned, most bait boat in the US will hold a kg of bait. If you get one be sure you find a supplier who sells ground bait in 45kg bags.

Phone

Chesters1,

It comes with a cast iron warranty if you catch fish (carp) they will be the smaller fish in the lake.

I concede, with carp the issue is different in the UK than in the US. We have plenty of carp.

Welly,

Once owned, most bait boat in the US will hold a kg of bait. If you get one be sure you find a supplier who sells ground bait in 45kg bags.

Phone

He would be using it to boat out his hook bait/rig instead of casting to get extra distance :thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

He would be using it to boat out his hook bait/rig instead of casting to get extra distance :thumbs:

The only advantage in one i can see if transporting a few cans of stella to your mate on the other bank ,saves running half the circumference of the pond back to your bivvy when your alarms goes off if you walk them round
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A life jacket at this time of year allows the recovery of the poor sole who has died from shock or a heart attack.

I washed my right hand in a local pool at lunchtime and wished I hadn't, in all honesty it hurt (feeding mashed bread and some fermented corn).

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I once volenteered to clear an obstruction stopping a stop plank from sitting right when i worked on the canal.it was only november and quite warm but even after a few minutes in a wetsuit i was so cold i couldnt function and had to be dragged out after clearing it ,i lost all feeling in arms and legs so swimming would have been difficult .

Mind you in 1979 it was a very thin suite i have no doubt they have improved .

They had already tried in a dry suite but bobbed like corks you have to be under the water a bit deeper than ten feet to get all the air out via the neck cuff

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Does this guy have a point? I suspect that bait boat manufactures charge as much as they do simply because anglers are prepared to pay that much and if flying model choppers was as popular as fishing, their hobby would cost them considerably more.

Should I part with the cash or carry on blanking on principal?

I suspect that the RC aircraft market is larger than the bait boat market and you're seeing the difference in pricing between mass produced in China and cottage industries in the UK.

Slightly off-topic, but definitely related ... was reading earlier today (via Matt Hayes) about a fully controllable SUBMERSIBLE bait boat now available ... literally a remore controlled submarine designed for anglers that will not only locate fish, but go down amongst them and drop a bait on them too!

Persoannly, I despair, from an angling viewpoint. I can see the entertainment value of such a toy and if someone would like to donate one I would doubtless spend countless hours bankside ... I doubt there is an angler alive who is not at least mildly curious about what REALLY goes on beneath the surface ... but using one to help me catch fish?

Not for me ... probably more fun sat at home with an XBox and fishing game. :bye2:

Slightly off-topic, but definitely related ... was reading earlier today (via Matt Hayes) about a fully controllable SUBMERSIBLE bait boat now available ... literally a remore controlled submarine designed for anglers that will not only locate fish, but go down amongst them and drop a bait on them too!

Persoannly, I despair, from an angling viewpoint. I can see the entertainment value of such a toy and if someone would like to donate one I would doubtless spend countless hours bankside ... I doubt there is an angler alive who is not at least mildly curious about what REALLY goes on beneath the surface ... but using one to help me catch fish?

Not for me ... probably more fun sat at home with an XBox and fishing game. :bye2:

I one made a sailing submarine as a kid ,a bit tricky it tipped over but i persevered by making outriggers ,it dived fine until the sail (square rig) hit the water and it lost forward momentum and slowly rose to the surface and repeated ,not one of my greatest inventions (the rocket powered boat certainly was ....once,) anyway the idea is ok but not for bait (dousent it rush to the surface scaring everything for miles when it loses the weight of the bait?) But with a gopro on the nose very interesting for fish snooping

Perhaps in a couple of years a real looking silicone rubber fish could be made with gopro eyes so you could play the mating game .not sure bluetooth is much good but you could pretend it has snapped off and disquise the fact it has a aerial by putting a float on thin wire and using that .not the sims the fins

Many happy hours waiting for a bite trying to chat up pike or carp and shepherding them under the impression their going to get a fin over to your bait

Edited by chesters1

Go buy a kayak. Paddle your baits out, open up new fishing options by fishing directly from it and have non-fishing fun on the beach or in the local river.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Welly,

I guess the answer to your question "are bait boats worth the money" is really simple.

Is ANY of your kit worth the money. Would a bait boat add to the excitement and enjoyment you experience whilst fishing.

Phone