Harrison Rods - Re-Badged

barbelbarmy

A great many rods are, or at least were, built on Harrison blanks and rebadged. Indeed I did this myself in my early days supplying custom-built rods. Having said that, some of mine were on non-standard blanks, including a few I had a hand in designing after cutting up bits of glass and carbon and playing around with them. The later blanks I had made were all exclusives made to my specs but, contrary to popular belief, weren't made by Harrisons. However Harrisons make an excellent product and I can unreservedly recommend them.

I don't recall Harrisons ever producing fibreglass blanks. Conoflex, North Western and, although I never used them myself Fibatube (made by Hardys), were the main makers of glass blanks I remember from my time. Neither Conoflex nor North Western now make blanks.

Doing up an old rod first is a great idea. These days you probably won't save money building your own rod as opposed to having it custom-built for you. However it is a lot of fun and very satisfying.

I built my first rod from a kit that I bought in the late 60s from Walker's of Hythe. Anyone remember them?

Bought several kits from them ,not the best blanks but fair value for money first one was a solid glass pier rod i also used for pike (about 1964?) The last a 16ft glass one ,the ones from gerrys of wimbledon were twice that built .living in bromley there were several rod makers and i helped sweep out at the modern arms co on a sunday when it was to nasty to go fishing so never needed to buy bits and bobs errrhem

Got me all sentimental now the closed season meant drooling over catalogues for things you couldnt afford or building things that tried to resemble them ,rods were stripped and reringed and varnished and many happy ours were spent inventing things that failed first cast on the 16th ,how many times can you strip and grease a reel that closed season dragged on!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

They, Harrison blanks, are readily available in the US. Here's what Harrison has to say.

They are not cheap and easily recognized in the US. We don't have many parabolic blank manufacturers. I believe, although not positive, a "batch" of custom blanks is about 10 - 12 blanks.

Remember "Globetrotter"? He sold Harrison blanks before he had his own line of carp rods.

""""""""""Because we build in batches, we can only make small modifications to our rods here in our Liverpool factory, but if you want a complete custom build there are many independent custom rod builders who will build a rod to your specification, both here in the UK and overseas. Many of those rod builders are well known as anglers and can offer you expert advice. These are independent businesses, and vary in what they can offer. A few phone calls should find someone who can offer what you want.""""""""""

Edited by Phone

Luckily i have never been obsessed enough to know a difference looking at nude blanks ,nor obsessed enough to worry about weight and carbon is a mystery to me its just fiberglas with different fibres just plastic with different filling hopefully for those that care spider web will be the next ingredient but then you still have the plastic.

I like my fiberglass i find to many snapped carbon ones in the undergrowth to change ,their worth their weight in rings ans even they are silly ,one leg whatever next no legs to save 0000000.1 of a ounce?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Luckily i have never been obsessed enough to know a difference looking at nude blanks ,nor obsessed enough to worry about weight and carbon is a mystery to me its just fiberglas with different fibres just plastic with different filling hopefully for those that care spider web will be the next ingredient but then you still have the plastic.

I like my fiberglass i find to many snapped carbon ones in the undergrowth to change ,their worth their weight in rings ans even they are silly ,one leg whatever next no legs to save 0000000.1 of a ounce?

No legs has already been done. Daiwa interline.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

No rings at all have also been done with little impact ,not a great idea

I actually remember fitting rings to a ringless rod so i could use it

Edited by chesters1