Silly Rule?

wellyphant

Some clubs do a lot of work for the benefit of members, environmental, maintenance, safe pegs, organise events, fish stocking, charity matches, control predators as well as bailiff for the benefit of the members. I.e. stop people using more than one peg, people fishing for free, safe environment. we have also been involved in removing drug dens.

Why would you not want to be in a club? Other than having a lot of free water that makes it unnecessary. I have free water run very near my house. I prefer to be in two clubs for the benefits they give.

Not sure how long i will carry on ,its a thankless task especially when its peeing with rain and your the only fool on the bank.

I promissed my head bailiff i would carry on all the time he is ,hes 85 so who knows how long that will be ,my luck and he will outlive me.

The good bit is its a general fishery with few carp and no pike so the more hard line i know best lot are not there ,just old geezers and dads and kids

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why would you not want to be in a club?

Several reasons, There are no clubs within at least a 30 mile radius that I want to fish, they have carp waters and I don't have much interest in that species, the odd day during the summer when I do have a go at them it's at commercial waters, but increasingly I can't take that sort of fishing seriously. My local water a five minute drive away is almost 4 miles long and 3/4 of a mile across, I first fished it in the early 60s and it still hold challenges, it's not free I buy an annual ticket which covers my fishing and boat launching. I could happily spend the rest of my fishing life on it hunting it's wild perch, pike and ferox. All our local rivers are game ones, controlled not by clubs but by syndicates and estates the cost of that salmon fishing is beyond my means and I don't especially enjoy it anyway. We used to get invites as EA bailiffs onto good beats for the odd day late in the season, practically living on the river we knew when and where to go and always caught. The local 'town water' (for residents) used to be nice for a bit of sea and brown trout fishing (and the odd salmon) but it has deteriorated in recent years.

The water is a SSI so there are plenty of environmental groups doing their thing, all we anglers have to do is literally tread carefully when on the shore, and I always come back with at least a bag put of rubbish esp in tourist season. There are no 'pegs' just miles of,usually empty of anglers shoreline. We don't control; predators, rather we enjoy the privilage of seeing otters and ospreys fishing, I wouldn't hurt these creatures, they are just doing what we are, going out after a few fish, the difference being they need to do it to survive and I am way too fragile these days for 'drug busts'.

I did join a local club a few years ago for while I was away serving they bought up another smaller local water what we call a 'tarn', we used to fish there for free,but of course had to pay to join their club. The title of this thread is 'silly rules' well this lot had lots of them, for example the carrying of landing nets and unhooking mats at all times, totally useless and pointless when lure fishing for pike on that particular water. Draconian night fishing regulations, a very poor communication system which relied upon all members being facebook users. Worst of all they stocked what was a wild natural water with carp. Membership did give me access to their other waters, carp ponds and as I have said I have little interest in that sort of fishing.

I did chair a military club in Berlin in the early 80s and was a member of a German one (I still have the badge on my tackle vest), but that was purely for the very good match fishing there, neither club controlled any waters of their own, there was more than enough water to go at and have matches against others, I suppose they were more accurately 'teams' rather than clubs.

So that's it, I'm not in a club because I don't need to be in one. I would be paying money for waters I wouldn't want to fish and have more rules imposed upon me and there are enough of those in life as it is. No doubt in some places it makes sense to be in a club and good luck to those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Last year I took up pier fishing, During periods when my mobility is playing me up it has proven great when I can't get afloat on the lake. No license, sensible rules (fish sizes) a new chapter.

Edited by Emma two
  • Like 2
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There's one fishery owner near to where I live who has it on the lake rules notice board "NO LICENCE - NO FISHING".

His Lakes - His Rules!!!!!!! - So it would be quite futile in this case to refuse showing your License to him, he would simply ask you to leave!!

He's never asked me for mine as he probably recognises me from our local club - We have around 3 Matches a year on it & I occasionally pleasure fish it also.

He did have quite a big problem with SOME of our Eastern European friends at one time. Many of whom don't seem to have the same angling ethos as most of us.

I'd like to stress however there are a lot who do & in no way do I tar all with the same brush.

(Is it Whom or Who?? - I always struggle with that one and all that "First Person Singular Stuff Thingie - Innit"!!) :huh:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

No rod licences in Scotland, but if your fishing for Trout, Salmon or Seatrout you'll need a permit of some kind for most waters.

Don't mess about with the bailiff's up there. They can seriously spoil your day if you are breaking a law.

for example

"A water bailiff may, without warrant, seize and detain any person found committing an offence against any provision of the 2003 Act or any salmon-related offence under the 1967 or 1984 Acts. (But remember the general caveat at paragraph 12 above: none of the powers of a water bailiff extend to policing a Protection Order made under section 48 of the 2003 Act.)"

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2004/11/20316/47362

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Emma, Sounds Idyllic, there is very little free water near me and although it is not bad you would prefer to be a member of a club so that you, your gear, and your car a more secure. I totally get the stocking with Carp thing. I used to love the type of pond that had crucians, tench, bream etc but most clubs or commercials have electro netted and replaced with carp. Mine is a river club so only stocked with natives, our predators are cormorants, mink and people taking to eat (swans as well). Otters have been sighted but left alone. Our biggest problem is rubbish, bags of house hold, sheets of asbestos, you name it, people round here think it is a right to throw it in the river. I have even argued with someone who thought he had got the right to throw his cut down tree in the river because it ran behind his garden.

Salmon have been introduced so we may have the same issue as you there soon, that will kill the small river clubs.

All,

It is also a matter of custom and culture, even regional. Some public and most private.

As for me - all of England is rife with 'silly' fishing rules. Keepnet can have one fish total, which you can't keep(?)

Foul hook as fish in the gut or gill. You must put the fish back "alive" ( yeah, right!!).

You can angle with live fish but they cannot be immigrants (I believe Chesters1 wrote this one).

I won't even bother to mention landing nets and unhooking mats

BUT the one I'll never understand - THE LANDOWNER OWNS THE BED and BANK, BUT NOT THE WATER.

Phone

Edited by Phone

All,

It is also a matter of custom and culture, even regional. Some public and most private.

As for me - all of England is rife with 'silly' fishing rules. Keepnet can have one fish total, which you can't keep(?)

Foul hook as fish in the gut or gill. You must put the fish back "alive" ( yeah, right!!).

You can angle with live fish but they cannot be immigrants (I believe Chesters1 wrote this one).

BUT the one I'll never understand - THE LANDOWNER OWNS THE BED and BANK, BUT NOT THE WATER.

Phone

Don't believe all you read ('false news and 'alternative facts an' all that)...I don't recgnise much of that.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There's one fishery owner near to where I live who has it on the lake rules notice board "NO LICENCE - NO FISHING".

His Lakes - His Rules!!!!!!! - So it would be quite futile in this case to refuse showing your License to him, he would simply ask you to leave!!

He's never asked me for mine as he probably recognises me from our local club - We have around 3 Matches a year on it & I occasionally pleasure fish it also.

He did have quite a big problem with SOME of our Eastern European friends at one time. Many of whom don't seem to have the same angling ethos as most of us.

I'd like to stress however there are a lot who do & in no way do I tar all with the same brush.

(Is it Whom or Who?? - I always struggle with that one and all that "First Person Singular Stuff Thingie - Innit"!!) :huh:

Any owner/club can introduce rules where the production of a licence is needed to gain entry but why are these people introducing rules to help the government enforce nothing more than a tax?

Owning a licence doesnt prove you have passed a test or are proficient in angling so why insist you have it.and nothing will happen to the owner if someone is found lacking one (as far as i know ,if there is a punishment it makes sense to check)

I am often offered a licence to check whilst checking permits but i am not interested in seeing if they are up to date paying their fishing tax i am interested to see if they have paid their dues to the club.

If the gov want their tax enforced then get enforcers i wont be doing their dirty work for free.

Not had direct problems with furringers the few i have met have had whats required admittedly after using sign language what is needed ,IE unhooking mat was difficult "a bed for fish" one chap puzzedly aked in broken english but i gave him a note to a tackle shop and one was there next visit.

There has been clues foreingners have been visiting after dark we found a bag of polish labled bits and bobs hidden in a bush one morning along with a couple of tins on a long bit of line to act as warning if someone came along the path but not having unhooking mats and poaching are far more common in british anglers in my experience but we are hidden away not in some town heaving with them so the occurrencies are high enough to make the papers

Some chap called Luc has several videos on youtube taken at the pond and hes a very good angler as are some brits

Im very lucky its a tiny water just 40 pegs so i can get round in a few minutes ,a few seconds if its empty or longer if my daughters visiting (keeps an eye on the mrs) so a gossip here and there and perhaps a couple of hours leaving home to getting back ,half an hour in the winter if i rush.but the biggest and best bit is theres no carp ,so no bivvies half across the path and little crap on your boots if you stray off it ,it surprises me how pointless it was with me pleading for years to get a bog down there and still people are to lazy to walk 150 yards to use it! Hardly any litter either i have seen the bailiffs on the big waters take 2 black bin bags home ,i will get inna year a carrier bag if i am unlucky

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

Phone

Well you cannot transfer living fish from one water to another without paperwork so thats true

Landing nets and unhooking mats are mandatory in the club so in that case thats true although the EA dictates mesh type and size if you use them so thats true to a point.

The foulhooking part is true

And rivers here are considered free ranging so you can technically fish anywhere BUT every inch of britain is owned so to get to the rivers your going to be on someones land and thats where you need permission to fish .

The water has no owner how can you own something one second on your land the next on your neighbours BUT as you say the landowner owns the land to the middle of a river or all of the land under the river if he owns both banks so the river is not owned but the land around it is lots of contention with canoeists as they dont touch the bank or land under the river so its a moot point in their case.

Ponds can be owned as its technically a still water (ignoring the fact it may flow in one end and out the other)but to fish the water your again on someones land so you need permission which maybe a handshake or fee not doing so is a crime as your fishing for fish that ARE owned as to the effect they are confined therefore ownership is there

On the club waters we own reasonable force can be used to eject a poacher and as its considered attempted theft they the police can be involved ,no idea on rivers but i guess the same to remove someone but the crime bit is questionable? Although the game anglers stock the river but do they own fish once its released and what would happen if i legally took one of their stocked fish home from land on the opposite bank i had permission to fish from?

Forgot to mention in a club if they decide it so a single carp can be put in a net for photographic reason and ofcourse you cannot keep it so pretty well 10/10 if you squint

Better put in links and remember on top of these rules are the regional ones plus any a club put in their permits as well ,they can add to but not retract from the first two they can make you wear a clown costume if they wish and by buying a permit which is a contract you will wear a clown costume if you want to keep using it

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/tackle-you-can-use

I did though find the regional one interesting and didnt have a clue to the SSSI reference and the rules encompassing big bits of countryside,or is that SSI?

Edited by chesters1

A bait straight out, a bait 50m to the left and a bait 50m to the right. Just how much water do you need to cover?

Any arguments about tangled lines are more than outweighed by the risks of gorge hooking and therefore killing fish due to poor tackle control.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.