Maily for chesters1 and Andy_1984

corydoras

I thought you two might like this. There is something satisfying about using a wee bit of electronics to control a machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9G5l9394Y

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hes using technology to save doing it the long way lol

20 years learning programming instead of 20 years learning to use a lathe .

I like the drill that can drill square holes ,no batteries needed lol

Not quite a cnc machine though

I remember a chuffed head of electronics 'presenting' me with a milling machine that would do all his pcb's with ease ,not so chuffed when he found out his ten grand computer controlled mill had be obselescent for 5 years i was making far smaller track widths using bubble etch and a printer!

When he insisted we could use it i gave him some flexible pcb material his students had been using for a couple of years the mill tore it to bits ,he went away head lowered

The only thing it ever got used for was putting text on ali boxes but at 13 quid a foot (how long the milling bit lasted) it didnt get used much ,now a 50 quid laser etcher could do it better

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hes using technology to save doing it the long way lol

20 years learning programming instead of 20 years learning to use a lathe .

I like the drill that can drill square holes ,no batteries needed lol

Not quite a cnc machine though

I remember a chuffed head of electronics 'presenting' me with a milling machine that would do all his pcb's with ease ,not so chuffed when he found out his ten grand computer controlled mill had be obselescent for 5 years i was making far smaller track widths using bubble etch and a printer!

When he insisted we could use it i gave him some flexible pcb material his students had been using for a couple of years the mill tore it to bits ,he went away head lowered

The only thing it ever got used for was putting text on ali boxes but at 13 quid a foot (how long the milling bit lasted) it didnt get used much ,now a 50 quid laser etcher could do it better

He knows how to work big manual machine tools just fine. He's also damned good at hydraulics, pneumatics and all sorts of other stuff.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

He knows how to work big manual machine tools just fine. He's also damned good at hydraulics, pneumatics and all sorts of other stuff.

Must be a better sense of achievement doing it the old way though ,i wish arduino was so cheap 20 years ago ,the hardware bits are almost given away on the chinese sites ,inmay have got interested but i'm to lazy to try nowadays ,gone 63 years without it .

I may get my soldering iron out tomorrow i am in the mood to fix my atari lynx lol

Chap i worked under on the canal built model working steam engines from scratch ,couldnt wire a 3 pin plug funny how the brain works ,i can do the plug bit but not the steam train

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I was prettty handy with a lathe in my schooldays. I was the only kid in the class who was permitted to power up a lathe when the teacher was out of the room. Most of the other muppets couldn't be trusted to take the chuk key out of the macine before pulling the big red knob and swinging it round to the left.

Never had an interest in metal or wood only chemistry ,found to my dispair (no work advise at my school) without decent maths or english its not enough.

Mum got me first job in london in a printing inks works i hated it.

Very good at bodging though

Theres few things put together that cannot come apart and hopefully fixed ,the washing machine is on its third set of bushes and the fridge has been totally rewired twice lol

Edited by chesters1

I like the videos where he takes a high end power tool to bits and shows you what you are and maybe are not getting for the premium price you pay.

Edited by corydoras

That bearded scotsman you posted on the deadly lamp does the same

With youtube ,luck and a little ability most things can be played with ,saves doing it the hard way

Edited by chesters1

Never had an interest in metal or wood only chemistry ,found to my dispair (no work advise at my school) without decent maths or english its not enough.

Mum got me first job in london in a printing inks works i hated it.

Very good at bodging though

Yeah I was good at the chemistry and the physics. Maths teacher could never quite work out how I could do just fine in the physics class, but not so hot in maths. I had to go back in my twenties to get my maths "O" level. I had something to motivate me then though, No maths, no computers.

I went to college at 42 ,what i thought i knew wasnt revelent in electronics and the city and guilds so difficult to get obselete now tubes are not in tv's

Now you need equiptment to suss out the problem and the circuit diagrams cost a fortune ,my 20meg scope is redundant now everything is on a chip

Mind you most repair types merely flow chart and replace whole boards ,component level is long gone

The spair part sellers are rip off merchants one quoted £60 for a pair of brushes or recommended a new motor ,i got them for £13 on ebay and the second pair for £4 because i then had a generic size

Never got further than sinclair basic i left programming to the ones that liked it

Edited by chesters1