John,

I envision the tyer as electro-magnetically attached.

Back from lunch out. Went to Wally World (Walmart). Smallest hook in the store was a #6 and a couple packets of #8 treble hooks (triple hooks)

Phone

I think our smaller hooks would form about the same outline as the eye on your ones but a damnsight thinner

Smallest i have used is a 26 and you would need small fingers to tie that freehand ,i was fishing for bleak and using larger (before barbless hooks) ones used to end up with a bleaks lip on them after unhooking squashing the barb usually meant a lost fish as the hole was large compared to a modern fine wire barbless

Ofcourse your not going to be able to use mainline on these so your down to sub half pound line

Anglings much harder than i remember but some old guys persevere with 1950 setups an 8lb mainline with a size 10 dangling on the end ,most would consider a 16 on 3lb fine but in the summer thats carp tackle!

One old guy had 6" of float sticking out of the water and at an angle where its obvious its hook lenght is hard on the bottom "had anything i asked" "not a bite" he said " you have probably had lots" i replied but telling them is pointless so i leave them to it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The problem with the mechanical hook tyers is that when you tighten the knot the line that you pull through to tighten the knot up becomes the last few inches of your hook-link.

If you tie them by hand - I think it's just called a whipping knot - the loose line all gets pulled through and cut off.

• Like 1

Chesters1,

you mean that's not what your bobber should look like?

Phone

Not here lol i have seen american ones we call them ping pong balls ,the nearest one to yours i can think of are about an inch round with a little stopper ,you put water in them and they assist in casting light things far away and because they almost weigh the same as the water they weigh little in it but ofcourse have a great deal of friction if mr fish takes the bait so i use mine free running

We also have torpedo shaped ones that stick out the water with an orange or red top that can be used the same way or as a controller

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Guys, I haven't posted here for a while. As some of you may know, I have only been fishing for a couple of years as I never fished as a kid. For this reason I missed out on acquiring all the basic skills. Even hook tying has been a learning curve. Eyed hooks were not so much of a problem but spade end hooks are another matter. I have been experimenting with tying spade end hooks for a while. I know I can buy them ready tied but it bugged me that I could not do it myself. I have tried all sorts of hookers, I even spent a kings ransom on a ZT Pro hook tyer - my thoughts on it can be found HERE. I found I could tie a hook easier with a tyer if I could hold the line tight and I came up with a magnetic solution while trying to tie knots with a Matchman like this:

15366530000_890ecee618_c.jpg

Click on the image for more details. I up-graded to a Stonfo tyer, the small one is good for the really fine hooks.

After all this messing around I eventually managed to tie a size 18 spade end hook by hand! Who needs hook tyers? Well me, I still can't tie size 22s or smaller without help... Yet!

I think I get just as much fun out of the preparation as I do out of the fishing - almost. That is probably just as well as I have probably spent as much on end tackle and 'tools' as I have on rods and reels.

Ralph.

An ingenious solution for holding the spool under tension bud'. But like you said - not everyone has this kind of stuff in their shed.

I found that a heavy glass ashtray on top of the spool worked quite well for me - not as well as yours, but I managed alright.

I see we're of similar age & for sure, neither of our eye sights will be improving, so re the size 22's, I'd suggest you buy the ready tied. A packet of 8 or 10 for around £2.50. (Yorkshire tackle shop prices)

Thinking Logically - a dozen or so untied size 22's can cost about that alone!!

Unless of course you just love the challenge!! :cc_surrender: (God loves a tyer - sorry, a trier lol)

Best of luck with whichever you decide.

Martin.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I use the Matchman tyer and grip the line between my knees. I do most of mine on the bank, and haven't got the space for large gizmos

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I might buy a ZT Pro hook tyer. I've tried the matchman and can't do it, I can't tie spade hooks manually either but I do want to use them. Problem is once I've made dozens of hooklengths I'll need to pop them in a small wallet of some sort - but no, I have to buy a fooking hooklength storage system which isn't going to fit in my creel. Where have all these angling 'systems' come from?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi Rusty,

You can buy the little white paper hook packets from the tackle shop or online which can be used over & over. Write on the packet the hook size & b.s & keep it for that particular hook length (or cross out & rename as required)

Tying a spade end manually is very easy (unless of course you have some lack of dexterity with your fingers)

Here's a Vid' below - I use more than 4 turns around the hook shank & you need to cut the Tag End a lot closer than shown in the vid'. The more turns you can get, the better it will hang. (on a size 12 hook, I do at least 8 - 10 turns)

6 turns on an 18.

And finish your last turn on the inside of the shank (not mentioned in the vid'!!) otherwise it won't hang straight!!!! If you finish on the outside - the spade end can cut/wear through the line!! (as BoldBear has already pointed out)

You'll find nail clippers are very useful, or small curved scissors.

After a bit of practice, you may decide to abandon or at least postpone the need for a tyer??

I suggest you Practice with a large hook to start with till you've got the hang of it?? Or if you don't have any Large spade ends - you can practice with an eyed one just the same.

https://youtu.be/gWBuRfYIf6Q

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I might buy a ZT Pro hook tyer. I've tried the matchman and can't do it, I can't tie spade hooks manually either but I do want to use them. Problem is once I've made dozens of hooklengths I'll need to pop them in a small wallet of some sort - but no, I have to buy a fooking hooklength storage system which isn't going to fit in my creel. Where have all these angling 'systems' come from?

I had trouble tying spade end hooks so I bought a ZT Pro. Yes it works but it just made me more determined to tie my own. I can now tie by hand down to an 18. I am now trying to get to the 20, 22 and 24s. I take it you have seen my review of the ZT Pro... If not you can find it HERE. I bought one because I wanted it. I did not need it but I am a sucker for mechanical gadgets :)

It was T H I S big, honest!

My Blog