Which is the best month for 'pb's?

The Flying Tench

I would have expected it to be Feb/March when they are getting fat before spawning, or maybe autumn, but for me it turns out to be very evenly spread through the year. April is the only month which has never yielded a pb (well, that's no surprise) but May is top month with 4 'pb's - though admittedly none of them were fish I catch very often.

Mine are as follows. If the pb spot is shared by two fish they both get a half:

Jan 0.5

Feb 0.5

Mar 2

April 0

May 4

June 1

July 2

Aug 1

Sept 1

Oct 1

Nov 0.5

Dec 1.5

How does it pan out for you?

john clarke

Tench,

You've ask a fun but extremely difficult question.

First, let me say for carp (which I know most about) it would be the 30 days immediately prior to water temperatures dropping below 50f for any given venue. That's when the largest fish of that species will exist in that venue.

But - - - - the months that provide: consistent protein, lack of exercise are really important. You don't want a "lean mean" river fish if you are specimen fishing. You want a fat lazy mum.

Age, not likely you'll catch a pb in a new pond. The fish will not be real old or young, slightly beyond middle age.

Consistency, it won't be in a pond or river that fluctuates greately.

And, I will go out on a limb and say it will not be a fish ready to spawn. It may have the beginnings of spawn - say in October for a March spawn. Fish spawn is not heavy for the energy required to make it. Spawn is a negative feature.

The "source" for answering your question can be found among the the myriad of 'fish farming' web sights. They can "skin that cat" a hundred different ways. That's what they do. Make money by the most efficient method possible. It certainly equates to wild fish as well.

IMO - if your PB is in the top 10% of all PB's it will have been caught late in the season - not at spawn.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Mine:

Jan 1 (Grayling)

Feb 4 (Pike, Chub, Roach, Dace)

Mar 2 (Brown & Rainbow Trout)

Jun 3 (Tench, Crucian, Eel)

Jul 3 (Barbel, Bream, Rudd)

Aug 1(Carp)

Sep 0

Oct 2 (Perch, Salmon)

Nov 0

Dec 0

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Wow, this month (Feb) is a key time for you, Chris. Here are mine with the species named:

Jan 0.5 Grayling

Feb 0.5 Dace

Mar 2 Perch, chub

April 0

May 4 Rudd, eel, bream, tench

June 1 Trout

July 2 Crucian, carp

Aug 1 Barbel

Sep 1 Sea trout

Oct 1 Roach

Nov 0.5 Dace

Dec 1.5 Grayling (0.5), pike

john clarke

My biggest perch have been caught in March, fish which had not yet spawned and would be substantially lighter after spawning.

If I remember rightly, Chris, you still strictly observe the old stillwater closed season, and I note that your best tench and crucian were caught in June - they often still haven't spawned by that point.

Steve,

Perch (I forget the Latin name) can have a 10% spawn. Females very quickly replace this loss. Females weigh most prior to building spawn is the most common. Males, after spawn can die tending to the nest. Males loose a LOT of weight after the spawn. If you are on a nest you can probably catch the same male 10 times til it dies.

ALL, from memory.

Phone

Perch don't do parental care, they dump and run - are you thinking of bluegills or something like that?

Sticklebacks?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson