'Discover Fishing' - internet guide.

barbelbarmy

http://www.discoverfishing.co.uk/reels/reels.htm

Found this website today and read what seamed a good guide to rods and their uses. Out of interest thought I would look at the reel guides. I think any one that uses centre-pins would like this:

Guide to open face reels:

When to use them:
• Trotting when the fish want bait presented at exactly the same speed as the current.

Guide to centre pins:

The principle purpose of centrepin reels is to store line.

Very expensive wooden bobbin then!!

No BB & Tigger, the purpose of a Fly fishing reel Is Just for storing line, which just happens to resemble a centrepin.

A Centrepin reel & indeed the art of Centrepin fishing is a world apart. :doh:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Reels of any type merely store line ,the rod does the work but you decide when the reel stores line by winding in or releases it by letting line escape.

A pole doesnt store line so it needs no reel (except in the cases of those strange ones) technically if your line is longer than your rod you need a reel to store any line thats longer than the rod or you will be falling over it.

As things go reels do nothing more than the first ones ,materials and ease of use are the only evolution

Chuck the rod away and the reel still does nothing more than store line ,chuck the reel away the rod becomes a pole

Probably the best use found for both is snobbery the poor mans arms race ,for millions of years a reel was probably a stick and a rod was probably a stick if they hadnt resulted in catching fish we wouldnt be able to fish with similar things now

I am a snob i wouldnt use a pin if you gave me one ,is it because i dont 'get' pins nope ,i havent discovered the delights of pins nope i just think they are obselete i was brought up on them a fixed spool opened my eyes and made my fishing enjoyable i wouldnt go back to the dark ages except if you paid me ,wrong reels you say nope went from wood to aerials of brass and steel but i just dont like them ,i see many in use but i wouldnt stop those that enjoy that form of fishing archaic as it is

The "art" of fishing isnt the reel and it isnt the rod its the bit before the rod tip and after nook and after the handle to the angler and you will catch fish whatever comes after that tip from hardy to lineaff! its that bit from the hook to the tip and from the handle to the person a good angler will catch whatever he uses and a bad angler blames the bit in between the tip and the handle whatever it costs

Theres also 'drive' i suppose mines small i dont need to catch fish to enjoy fishing some do ,my PB isnt my drive nor is quantity just how many fish do i need to catch in a lifetime ? In some the pleasure is catching fish ,in others displaying their wealth in flash gear ,in others holding a fish every tom dick and harry has caught so often its got a name and in some like me just sitting on the bank cursing the heron when he catches more than me or basking in the sun caring nothing if i catch anything at all and believe me i can blank on the latest gear just as i can with crap from the past

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No BB & Tigger, the purpose of a Fly fishing reel Is Just for storing line, which just happens to resemble a centrepin.

A Centrepin reel & indeed the art of Centrepin fishing is a world apart. :doh:

:g: I know the difference in the two methods fishing Martin. Imo all reels are a line store but are designed for different methods of fishing, simple really :).