I know some of you like to take the mick about the Island.....

Huge_Vitae

But there are some advantages to living a few years behind, recently I had a dripping ball valve in a loo (yes we do have them), easy enough, take it to pieces, remove all the rubber seals, down to my little hardware shop where the owner sits in his winged armchair, reading the paper and smoking his pipe, hand over seals, a quick rummage through the boxes in wooden drawers containing seals and far less than a pound later, back home, reassemble unit, job done for ten or so years.

Currently at my daughters in Taunton, County town of Somerset who has a dripping ball cock valve, can I find a small hardware shop? Nope, can I buy replacement seals? Nope, go to a plumber chap up the road and ask him where I can buy some rubber washers/seals. Pointed in the direction of screwfix I make the enquiry and am told that the unit is non repairable and I have to buy a replacement unit costing £5. Make the purchase, go back to daughters, remove bits from new unit, insert in old valve assembly, job done, throw away £4 odd worth of goods!

And my home is backward? I can still get a tv fixed or an electric drill or a cake mixer or a radio or a........

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

The next village had a great ironmongery ,if he didnt have something (which was rare) he could get it.now its gone !

I like fixing things my daughters bike failed its MOT as the chap at the bike place said her front mudgaurd was dangerouse (its not part of the mot! But can be failed if it could interfere with the wheel) strangely it 'broke' after paying £40 to have a puncture fixed (rip off merchant!) And he removed the mudgaurd to get the wheel off! It by design cannot touch the wheel but it was failed and he offered to replace it for £120 plus labour.he obviously tried to remove the wheel and broke the mudguard forcing it upwards ,to remove the bolts it need only go up an inch then you can remove the mudguard and the wheel comes out easy

She had already forked out to have a rear disk replaced and got a advisory the pads needed replacing (why not tell her when he had the wheel off?)

Anyway i spent a couple of hours bending metal reinforcing plates to strange angles and pop riveting the snapped off plastic he broke and bolted it back in better than new ,she didnt go back to him incase some other money making fault cropped up and took it to another place where it flew through with no mention of the pads ,however i ordered some for £6 because pads should be replaced when disks are so thats a job this weekend lol

Piaggio have gone down hill to screw in the front bolts on the mudguard its a wheel off as its a large screw head and although i have cranked screwdrivers and flexible ones the angle is wrong so i replaced them with bolts so you can get them out without removing the wheel next time!

So badly designed you cannot even carry a spare tyre as the wheels are different !sometimes design goes backwards!

I miss fiddling with bikes but to replace my long gone but fondly remembered zundapp bella and sidecare is several grand so thats pleasure will never happen again

You can get such things fixed here (my city and guilds isnt for modern tv's though so i need google!) But its me trying to fix them lol

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Huge_Vitae, on 21 Feb 2017 - 22:04, said:

But there are some advantages to living a few years behind, recently I had a dripping ball valve in a loo (yes we do have them), easy enough, take it to pieces, remove all the rubber seals, down to my little hardware shop where the owner sits in his winged armchair, reading the paper and smoking his pipe, hand over seals, a quick rummage through the boxes in wooden drawers containing seals and far less than a pound later, back home, reassemble unit, job done for ten or so years.

Currently at my daughters in Taunton, County town of Somerset who has a dripping ball cock valve, can I find a small hardware shop? Nope, can I buy replacement seals? Nope, go to a plumber chap up the road and ask him where I can buy some rubber washers/seals. Pointed in the direction of screwfix I make the enquiry and am told that the unit is non repairable and I have to buy a replacement unit costing £5. Make the purchase, go back to daughters, remove bits from new unit, insert in old valve assembly, job done, throw away £4 odd worth of goods!

And my home is backward? I can still get a tv fixed or an electric drill or a cake mixer or a radio or a........

There's me thinking the isle had been hitched up to a car ferry taken out into the channel and sunk years ago. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..