any float fishing reel recommendations ?

grayling4me

Ken,

I believe the search term "underspin" or "triggerspin" may help. - They are, IMO, all variations of "spincast" reels (including Abu 501)

Martin,

I'm sure you are correct. Few, if any, < $50 fishing reels come from anywhere but Asia.

Phone

My favourite (probably for all time since i wont be needing another one) 'spincast' reel is my roddy 180 .

Now these are nothing like abu 500 series and its down to nothing more than friction theres no way on earth these reels can let line out purely on the float and line moving downstream the line goes through a far tighter angle to come out of the hole in the center rather than relitively straight in the 500's.

The roddy is great ambidextrous which is rare in these reels and us brits can use it on crank handled rods but reel in left handed the correct way forwards rather than cack handed backwards .

Its also japanese now rare but they did make some nice gear before they got undercut by the germans or chinese.

Blimey its rarer/crappier than i thought i cant find a picture on the web !its pretty as far as old clunky metal reels go

Spincast helped ,obviously issued under other names!

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-new-old-stock-heddon-convertible-180-fishing-spinning-reel-in-box/121980957261/

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My favourite (probably for all time since i wont be needing another one) 'spincast' reel is my roddy 180 .

Now these are nothing like abu 500 series and its down to nothing more than friction theres no way on earth these reels can let line out purely on the float and line moving downstream the line goes through a far tighter angle to come out of the hole in the center rather than relitively straight in the 500's.

The roddy is great ambidextrous which is rare in these reels and us brits can use it on crank handled rods but reel in left handed the correct way forwards rather than cack handed backwards .

Its also japanese now rare but they did make some nice gear before they got undercut by the germans or chinese.

Blimey its rarer/crappier than i thought i cant find a picture on the web !its pretty as far as old clunky metal reels go

Spincast helped ,obviously issued under other names!

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-new-old-stock-heddon-convertible-180-fishing-spinning-reel-in-box/121980957261/

That ones a bit like the ABUMATIC range in that the line comes through a hole in the centre of the cowl.

Shown in the Link below - just scroll down it a bit.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiTju2A-67SAhUlBcAKHQBrDb4QFggsMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realsreels.com%2Fhistory%2F&usg=AFQjCNFouIFM-jQsRyp0XTCwLzqlawitoA&sig2=zmx6HjBfCopXeJw7QqgUig

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

. I have owned no fewer than 5000 Zebco 33's.

Phone

I don't think Zebco will take that as a great endorsement of their reels Phone. 5000 reels in your fishing life time? :o I'm still using a 501 that I bought about 1971/72, and it's still going strong!

After a centre pin, the 501 is my first choice for trotting, or even general float fishing in still water when it's windy.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

After a centre pin, the 501 is my first choice for trotting, or even general float fishing in still water when it's windy.

We used to use our closed face reels for everything - trotting, waggler, even light feeder fishing on stillwaters. I wouldn't do the latter now, mind, as I often want to clip up.

All,

Steve, pictures are worth a 1000 words. I don't agree - but I see. (I believe that is a British thing. You've adapted to the equipment rather than have equipment that's designed for a technique. Just move your hand a bit. Even in the days of the older "flat faced" reels it didn't take long for the elongated design's advantages to catch on. 60 million anglers can't all be wrong. Unless, of course, they are fishing in England.

Gozzer,

I got to thinking about it - probably closer to 7500. With factory help every, or nearly every "youth clinic" each kid would get a rod and reel. In addition - while traveling and fishing I never used "top gear". I always left my rods and reels for the locals. I was never comfortable "cleaning" kit. Epizooties are or can be tiny creatures. This is especially true in our Western states trout waters.

All, Maybe a cheap "mooching" reel will do? They are the forerunner of the centrepin.

You do take your fishing line holders a bit on the serious side. Especially those you call "pinheads" in England.

Phone

Phone, I can't see how you can easily slow the rate that line is pulled off the spool with that central hole, nor trap the line on the strike. Remember that the vast majority of the time these reels are in use the pick up pins are disengaged - you only reengage them when you want to reel in.

Steve,

I'm at a bit of a loss? See your picture. We simply catch the line coming from the center hole rather the having it flop past you finger every rotation. In both cases I believe it is the angler who controls the speed with which line plays into the water. The only "difference" is where and when your hand is physically in contact with the line isn't it?

Just a wild guess as I really don't know about the newer models, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't use a dual drag setting.

Phone

Not sure you get how we use them Mr Bush ,if we are trotting we will cast the float (not a bobber a float) some distance towards the spot where we think the fish are (in the case of my little river i just drop the float in the water and let the current take it downstream) and control the speed of the line leaving the reel with a finger ,if we get a bite we can strike just by trapping the line against the spool cover THEN we engage the pin and wind in .we can also effect how the bait moves if we lightly slow the line the bait will move faster than the float and rise up and letting it fall again by removing the finger it will drop as the float catches up so we can continually let the bait sink rather than tumbling along the bottom if we wish this is a killer for trout they dont stand a chance with bread!

Some users merely let the fish take line (in the case of an abu 501 or 1044) without a clutch at all letting the friction of the reel plus the finger doing the work ,the clutches are not up to much anyway so generally are a bit loose and any more resistance needed can be applied by that finger once more.if the fish makes a lunge at the net we can release line by depressing the line release (under that finger yours are on the top rear of the reel) and use that finger once more to control how the line leaves the reel leaving the other hand completely free for the net

In the case of yours you (or i do i cannot see how to use my finger on my roddy as its out of reach ,one hand on rod one on handle the reel is infront of my hand my finger is to short to touch line) you merely cast then engage the reel pickup pin and retrieve ?

I have a spare 501 if you pm me your address i will pop it in the post so you can see how us brits (or rather the swedes) are far more advanced in this instance lol but you cannot use them on a crank handled rod the rod needs to have the reel underneath

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson