I thought jail was a pinishment

Andrew

One side swiping at me because I'm supposedly a libertarian and the other side calling me a "leftie liberal" means I'm either very confused or getting things about right.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of capital punishment.

Corporal punishment is a different matter - and for most of the miscreants who end up in these holliday camp prisons, justice would be better server by a sound thrashing.

Edited by Ken L
  • Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

One side swiping at me because I'm supposedly a libertarian and the other side calling me a "leftie liberal" means I'm either very confused or getting things about right.

Corporal punishment is a different matter - and for most of the miscreants who end up in these holliday camp prisons, justice would be better server by a sound thrashing.

A sound thrashing on finishing their term ,one thing prison does is keep the crim out of circulation ,in some cases with a prolific crim in nick the crimerate plummets.in these cases a far far longer sentence would suite with a thrashing every six months and get rid of open prisons these are the holiday camps

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A sound thrashing on finishing their term ,one thing prison does is keep the crim out of circulation ,in some cases with a prolific crim in nick the crimerate plummets.in these cases a far far longer sentence would suite with a thrashing every six months and get rid of open prisons these are the holiday camps

yep for serious repeat crimes I would bring in the three strikes rule used in some states and it damn sure wouldn't be in no holiday camp, i think we still have a few islands around that could be used for that purpose.

The problem is that prison time means that peop!e loose jobs which means that short sententences can promote criminality.

A sound thrashing avoids that and is socially equitable so the minted socialite gets the same punnishment as the local scrote.

Another problem that we have is thzt generally, sentences are too long and time served is too short - how can you hold the system in anything but contempt if you are given 5 years but know you will only serve 2?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

the biggest flaw is knowing full well the chances of getting caught are low ,the chances of a trial are low ,the chances of procecution are low and the sentences will be light and served either from the comfort of their home or part time in an open prison.

public display in the stocks could work on a first offence but sadly the pc mob would be trying to get anyone with balls to suggest it hanged

create jobs building prisons and use romanians whos lifestyle probably wasnt brought up under our crazy humans rights crap to work in them ,prisons should be a place of fear if their going to persuade crims to change their ways

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

I'm equally sure it is true in Britian. I have just read "The Prisoner Dilemma" by Holly Harris.

I'm gonna drop a couple quotes on you and you can assume I have pinched it from Ms Harris. I do agree however.

In 2015 93% of federal prisoners were nonviolent offenders.

There is little evidence that doing time in US prisons makes inmates more responsible citizens.

The US prison population reflects a federal criminal code that has spiraled out of control.

Not even the government can specify with any certainty the number of crimes defined by the 54 sections of the US Code.

The Heritage Foundation estimated about 3000 as an educated guess in 2000. The number now exceeds 5000 and grows annually.

Legal scholar Harvey Silverglate has concluded that the typical American commits at least three felonies a day.

Examples:

If cheese is shipped in plastic rather than cardboard you would be in violation of the Lacey Act

If you call in sick to work in order to go to a football game you will be in violation of laws that prohibit schemes to defraud a company.

If you get lost on your motorbike and turn around at the entrance to a park you will be in violation of the Wilderness Act.

back to Phone

Problem is so many "low level" nonviolent crimes. (55 years for selling $350 worth of marijuana while in possession of a gun). Domestic violence is not served by prison time IMO

As for the 'bad guys'. Capital Punishment - in public and within a reasonable distance of the perp's home territory. I was a farmer's child. I can tell you wringing a chicken's head off is memorable. Shooting a calf in the forehead is memorable. Death is memorable. At least give the 'bad guys' one last chance to make a contribution whist waiting for their neck to break swinging in the wind as people watch. Ohh, and repeat offenders in the nonviolent categories move to the 'bad guy' category on strike 3.

Phone

All,

I'm equally sure it is true in Britian. I have just read "The Prisoner Dilemma" by Holly Harris.

I'm gonna drop a couple quotes on you and you can assume I have pinched it from Ms Harris. I do agree however.

In 2015 93% of federal prisoners were nonviolent offenders.

There is little evidence that doing time in US prisons makes inmates more responsible citizens.

The US prison population reflects a federal criminal code that has spiraled out of control.

Not even the government can specify with any certainty the number of crimes defined by the 54 sections of the US Code.

The Heritage Foundation estimated about 3000 as an educated guess in 2000. The number now exceeds 5000 and grows annually.

Legal scholar Harvey Silverglate has concluded that the typical American commits at least three felonies a day.

Examples:

If cheese is shipped in plastic rather than cardboard you would be in violation of the Lacey Act

If you call in sick to work in order to go to a football game you will be in violation of laws that prohibit schemes to defraud a company.

If you get lost on your motorbike and turn around at the entrance to a park you will be in violation of the Wilderness Act.

back to Phone

Problem is so many "low level" nonviolent crimes. (55 years for selling $350 worth of marijuana while in possession of a gun). Domestic violence is not served by prison time IMO

As for the 'bad guys'. Capital Punishment - in public and within a reasonable distance of the perp's home territory. I was a farmer's child. I can tell you wringing a chicken's head off is memorable. Shooting a calf in the forehead is memorable. Death is memorable. At least give the 'bad guys' one last chance to make a contribution whist waiting for their neck to break swinging in the wind as people watch. Ohh, and repeat offenders in the nonviolent categories move to the 'bad guy' category on strike 3.

Phone

i think theres a government guidline towards sentencing in the uk ,persons who commit crimes against the public dont go to prison thus leaving the cells free for council tax defaulters and litter droppers who defraud the government or annoy the council jackboots

No I,m a republican.

your certainly a leftie liberal then.

Your certainly a leftie liberal then.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That's a bit too bit like Sharia or too totalitarian like Singapore.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I wonder why people thing that the death penalty is the worst thing you can do to someone or any sort of deterrent?

It has been proven time and time again that it is not a deterrent. See the hangman Pierepoints remarks in Cory's post or just look at the murder rate in any state in the USA that kills people compared to any state that doesn't.

With regard to ultimate punishment I am not sure which I would prefer, a quick death or a life in prison. many choose suicide rather than just a few years in prison. Why is death so bad? It will happen to all of us at some time. The condemned man who is executed suffer a quick and painless death Those of us who are less fortunate may suffer months or years of pain and finally die in a totally undignified way. At my age and state of health I currently have a life expectancy shorter than the average condemned man on death row in the States.

Saying it saves money is also proven many times to be false. Again, it has been proven in the USA that to sentence and execute someone costs more than to keep them in prison for life.As for thrashing them, sounds like you have thought about that sort of thing all together too much.

To keep referring to the American system isn't a great example to use. The USA has more of it's population locked up than any country in the world. It is big business. The three strikes and you're out system sees people serving life sentences for stealing a CD. Is that a good idea?

The punishment element of prison is the deprivation of liberty. That's it. If you can do that in such a way that the prisoner is rehabilitated, educated and treated in an humane way then (as has also been proven time and time again) they are much less likely to re-offend. That has to be a good idea.

BTW, before the name calling starts I am not a bleeding heart liberal, snowflake, or any one of the number of names that certain people on here will call me. I am just applying knowledge and common sense, not popular in these post truth times.

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/