Tench Fisheries In The North West

AddictedToScopex

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any decent tench fisheries in the north west. Not looking for carp holes although I know that may end up being the only option. I am wanting to find somewhere that hasn't been completely overrun by carp ideally.

I wont be able to go for a little while I don't think as I have broken my elbow meaning my rod arm is out of action for now but trying to make plans for somewhere new to try and I am itching to get among the tench as it has been years since I caught a good one despite having tried at wingham twice :)

Thanks

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Having the same problem in the west midlands. Allthe local lakes are stuffed with pond pigs.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Having the same problem in the west midlands. Allthe local lakes are stuffed with pond pigs.

It's the same around here, the canal is my best bet for a tench or two without having to suffer the bloody carp.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Rik, This maybe isn't quite in your ideal area, nevertheless, very get to-able (near York)

Redwood Park Lakes.

I haven't fished it but looks a good selection of lakes (4) & boasts Tench up to 6 lb. & Perch up to 3 along with Barbel, Carp & Silvers etc

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjygLmF8brSAhWoB8AKHf4WB8AQgU8IRjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redwoodpark-york.co.uk%2F&usg=AFQjCNGv1MeYVmEP7YD3Z59-E3FrwP7vRw&sig2=twttXrhXCKp9iL_T-vE_ew

OK so not exactly a Tench fishery, but claims big Tench & looks a very nice venue (+ the big Perch factor)

No doubt the owner will tell you the best chance of the 4 lakes for Tench - You have to pay for your ticket at the house before you fish!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Hi Scopex,

The best advice I can give you is Join the Tenchfishers. They have active regional membership groups all over the UK and a private members-only forum for sharing information, advice, etc. They have also got groups in Ireland and Europe too. If you want to try new tench waters then there are quite a few Tenchfishers Fish-Ins organised. Quite honestly, they are the best value for money single species group around at only £25.pa (excluding a £10 one-off Joining Fee). Don't think that being a single species group you have to be ace at knocking out 10lb'ers left right and centre to join. Far from it. All you need to have is an interest in catching tench. Have a look at Tenchfishers.com and see for yourself.

BTW - I am a Tenchfisher.

Regards,

Steve C.

• Like 1

Here's an idea.

A lot of commercial fisheries have several pools. How about dropping your local ones a line and asking them whether they have a fishery on site that has a good head of tench but few if any carp.

If they don't know there is a demand, they can hardly be expected to cater for anglers looking to avoid the pond pigs.

Afterall, from their perspective, carp make sense. They cost less than half the price of tench to stock, they grow faster, they are more robust and lots of people never shut up about how much they like to catch them.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Here's an idea.

A lot of commercial fisheries have several pools. How about dropping your local ones a line and asking them whether they have a fishery on site that has a good head of tench but few if any carp.

If they don't know there is a demand, they can hardly be expected to cater for anglers looking to avoid the pond pigs.

Afterall, from their perspective, carp make sense. They cost less than half the price of tench to stock, they grow faster, they are more robust and lots of people never shut up about how much they like to catch them.

Been there, and done that Ken, with private owners, club committee/members, and as you know, those that cast a bait in these places. The reply is usually, 'this is what the punters want'. The equation is, more fish in pond = more bums on bank = more revenue for 'fishery'. Carp being the usual cheapest option, with a few alien/exotic species thrown in for good measure. I prefer being regarded as an angler, not a 'punter' or customer, but it's now a business, and that's how we are seen, with the catching of fish being the 'product' on sale.

There was a time when I had to actively search for a water that held a few carp, now it's harder to find one that doesn't, and that includes many of our rivers.

John.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

But the tide is turning. On a recent thread on the BAA's forum, someone asked what sort of veues the association should aim to aquire in the future - and the majority of respondants wanted a fishery with no carp. Tench, crucians and rudd topped the most wanted list.

• Like 1

But the tide is turning. On a recent thread on the BAA's forum, someone asked what sort of veues the association should aim to aquire in the future - and the majority of respondants wanted a fishery with no carp. Tench, crucians and rudd topped the most wanted list.

I hope you're right Ken, and some are waking up to fisheries with a varied, balanced stock level, of species. But I won't hold my breath, and it's much too late for many fisheries unless a more realistic view on stock control is adopted.

John.