Couldn't Resist

AddictedToScopex

As you may or may not know I broke my elbow a little over a week ago and try as I might I just couldnt stop myself from enduring the pain and getting out on the bank on Saturday evening. With the closed season fast approaching I bolted for the good old river Ribble. With the river being up and coloured I opted for a different swim to my usual one of late. I set up the first rod on meat and cast out and began setting up the second. Within 2 minutes I had a 3 foot twitch but sadly the fish had taken the meat from the hook and swum off with a smile on its face. I was amazed at how quick it was given the state of the river but it filled me with confidence.

I got the 2nd rod setup and cast in and then began working on the first rod to replace the meat. No sooner had I sat down the other rod (fishing a boilie) went screaming off. I landed the fish and it was about a 6lb barbel in great condition. I was hoping this would set the tone for the evening but despite a few more bites on the meat things went a bit quiet for a few hours.

I sat watching the rods simply enjoying being there and decided on 10 more minutes before I went home. I rebaited both rods and cast them back in with mesh bags of mixed pellet attached with the same meat on the right and boilie on the left. I waited the ten minutes and then decided on five more as we always do :) A minute later I had another huge take. It was defiintely a much stronger fish than the previous one. I was hoping that meant it was much bigger and I wasn't disappointed. After a great fight (despite the sore arm) I slid the net under another great looking barbel. I weighted it and it went 11lbs and a quarter in the net. I put it at around 10lbs something without the net but I forgot to weigh the net. Its not always the size that matters with fishing anyway for me. It was a great reward for braving the rain and the pain and I was quite chuffed. I had gone 4 years fishing this stretch without a double but that one made it 3 doubles in as many sessions.

I am going back tonight :) (nothing a bit of paracetamol and ibuprofen can't fix )

2cxib2w.jpg

• Like 2

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Last time I broke a bone, I couldn't physically carry the kit to fish where I intended and my contingency plan resulted in an unofficial world record.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Sorry to hear about your elbow, that session on the Ribble must have made up for it Lol

Well done, what a great session after beards, I'm getting very jealous as I am still recovering from a replacement knee so I can't get out on the river before the season ends Lol.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I always forget about the closed season until early March and then I realise I need to get on the bank asap. I went again last night and managed another 6lber which was nice. Feeling the effects on my elbow today though so may give it a few days before my next one. Its harder to fish effectively when you are distracted by the pain. Hope your knee mends well soon. I plan to target tench once the season ends. I have been looking at a new ticket which seems to have some decent tench waters.

• Like 1

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Sorry to hear about your elbow, but a cracking fish there :)

• Like 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Seems were all falling apart ,just finishing my rounds today and slipped on a root and twisted my ankle ,horse rider saw me hobbling very slowly back up the track and had her horse box waiting by the time i got half way up and dropped me off at my front door (spent 5 minutes waiting to wave her off as she did a 30 point turn trying to turn round to get back up the road) .

I needn't have bothered there was no-one fishing but i need the excercise

Dosed myself up with a couple of dichlofenic then an hour later 2 paracetamol and 90 mg codiene .spent the afternoon in a fuzz .not as bad as i thought just repeated the dose but have doubts i will be going tomorrow!

I had a couple of hours sunday without a bite but two silvers (wink) detecting in the afternoon ,my daughter was visiting so i had a free day

Nothing of mention in the river except poxy trout even the chub at gostrey meadows have disapeared

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I always forget about the closed season until early March and then I realise I need to get on the bank asap. I went again last night and managed another 6lber which was nice. Feeling the effects on my elbow today though so may give it a few days before my next one. Its harder to fish effectively when you are distracted by the pain. Hope your knee mends well soon. I plan to target tench once the season ends. I have been looking at a new ticket which seems to have some decent tench waters.

Rik - you might find a Margin pole a lot easier to handle just while you elbow heals, as you fish it resting across your lap/knees most of the time.

I saw an article in the Angling Times 2 or 3 years ago (maybe a bit more) called "Barbel on the Pole - Can you Handle It??"

Here's a Vid' to show it's more than possible.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwit9rKA2sXSAhUsKcAKHWJGDisQtwIIIzAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaHuxo3DDufw&usg=AFQjCNFSJsroMg0xGmVBdqRhjzb_uoZqcg&sig2=UZpASnyWtwyp6V6w84sbEA

Here's another about River Pole fishing with a Pole Feeder.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I use the new spec' Shimano BeastMaster 8.5 Metre Margin (£160 with 2 top kits) and a 2 Metre extension (optional at £70)

With the extension - it allows me to fish at the full 8 odd Metres with plenty behind me hands free!!

Yes - I'm a real lazy git - & like to let the pole fish itself either on a front & back pole roller or just resting on top of the keep net!!

If fishing down the edge - I'll even use the reeds as a rest!!

A very forgiving pole especially for dyed in the wool ROD Anglers (like me)

Short of standing on it - it's unbreakable!!!!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Try it line to hand with an extra long elastic. I placed in a couple of opens on the trent using that tactic and won a bunch of club matches.

You do get some funny looks with the elastic stretched out accross the river though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.