rod/reel balance

Phone

All,

Based on a thread of Tigger's "a few hours out..." which has slipped from catching to rod reel choices I've started this thread.

I've often wondered how centrepin anglers change reels rather freely on the same rod. I've always been keen on what I call perfect balance (on my expensive equipment). I don't think I ever had a combination that I approved of that a reel or rod could be interchanged satisfactorily.

Balance is a "personal choice" and certainly not the same for every angler. For example, I have (had) one rod and reel I used for 1/4oz and lighter lures that I almost always used a Wallis cast, admittedly slightly modified. It was only a 6 ft rod.

Carp rods the same. If it's not in perfect balance in my hand I would just as soon use a $30.00 combo from Walmart.

Phone

Edited by Phone

A lot depends on what you're using the rod for Phone. If it's going to spend a long time in rests waiting for a bite, it's less important than if you are holding the rod all the time. This is one reason why I prefer the sliding reel fittings, instead of the fixed screw fittings that most rods now have. If I change the reel on a rod, then I like to be able to move the reel so that the point of balance is a couple of inches past the place where I hold it. It's not just the weight of the reel, it's also the type of reel. I hold a fixed spool reel, differently to a centre pin, so the point of balance will change. In the past with f/glass rods, I always loaded the butt, to get the reel in the right place, ie with about 4 inches of handle sticking out past my elbow. This load often exceeded the weight of the rod itself, but because it was balanced, it felt lighter, and handled better. I'm talking about rods of 11feet plus, used mainly for trotting, occasionally, freelining or rolling leger.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

gozzer,

You are absolutely correct. If a rod is going to sit most of the session it's mox-nix for the most part.

You know, it may have been a personal thing. Once a rod and reel suited me I now realize they rarely got separated. And, I am not talking about every day rods and reels. Mostly the equipment used for special occasions or for "showing off".

Phone

The reel sits pretty much at the pivot point so "balance" is more or less irrelevant from the perspective of which reel you use although weight if an issue, especially if you are holding the rod all day.

Balance (as pointed out above) is a question of where on the rod you sit the reel or less commonly, whether you decide to add additional weight to the butt.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Not everyone does change centrepins Phone, Tigger has an impressive collection and likes to make sure they all get used, he's a good enough angler to be able to get used to a new setup quickly. My collection is smaller and once I've decided on a rod/'pin combination that works for me it stays put. Each centrepin will cast differently and I don't want to have to re-learn different setups.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I don't really have any prob's with balanced set ups to be honest. The actual balance point is always well above the rod handle anyhow (even with your reel atatched). You only need to add a reel and then rest the rod across your finger moving your finger further up the blank until the rod hangs still and you'll find this spot is always above the handle.

All,

Taking a look I realize we are talking "apples and oranges". Spinning and bait casting rods and reels are NOT the same as what you are talking about. I don't and have never owned a steelhead rod and centerpin reel that I can remember. (Always borrowed one). Weight and balance for me is a slightly heavy tip. And if I'm going to be using it for more than an hour or two the lighter the better.

Same over here for carp rods and reels. Remember we (I) never leave a bait more than 15 minutes and more likely 10 minutes. Even here light reel and tip heavy balance suite me best.

Also thinking on it a bit - I believe I play a fish much longer than the average American angler. This too is an important consideration in the equation. Remember most rods - even high quality rods have a "trigger" to contend with.

Perfect weight and balance is a pleasure that makes your setup no longer just a line holder and fish retriever.

Phone

All,

Weight and balance for me is a slightly heavy tip. And if I'm going to be using it for more than an hour or two the lighter the better.

Phone

Yeaph Phone, your right, slightly tip heavy I think is how a rod should be.

Yeaph Phone, your right, slightly tip heavy I think is how a rod should be.

We're at risk of apples and oranges again.

Tip heavy with the balance point where?

I'd always say that I want the rod sligbtly light in the tip with the balance point being my middle finger when I'm holding the rod. Like the pommel of a sword, this makes it easier to move the tip around.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

We're at risk of apples and oranges again.

Tip heavy with the balance point where?

I'd always say that I want the rod sligbtly light in the tip with the balance point being my middle finger when I'm holding the rod. Like the pommel of a sword, this makes it easier to move the tip around.

The point of balance will almost never be spot on, but very close - the fixed reel seat positions which are on most rods these days are calculated by the rod manufacturers to suit an average reel scenario most likely to be used for a particular rod.

Arm to Brain co-ordination usually manages to sort out the rest. :fish:

No Ken - this wasn't intended as a dig at you bud, tackle is big business with very tight margins, something's gotta' give!!

I well remember the days when fixed screw reel seats on rods were unheard of (they were just free sliding rings) - You then need packing (or not) under the reel stem to suit which reel you wanted to use.

Cigarette packet card was popular for this back in the day!! :(

Them days, like most, I'd only 2 rods & 2 reels to my name - Now I've a dozen or more of each I don't even use!!

Many of you will have a lot more!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!