I love the Ribble :)

AddictedToScopex

So I have been trying without success for quite some time to nab myself a river pike using dead baits. I have had a fair few goes and besides a small lure caught jack I have not had any success. All that changed yesterday. I arrived at the river at about 9am and decided to set up my dead bait rod and fish a maggot feeder at the same time. I expected the maggot feeder would keep me occupied if there was nothing else doing pike wise which I fully expected to be the case.

I set up the pike rod first on a running ledger rig and decided on a small trout as the bait to try first. I forgot to pierce the bait or add any extra oil which I only realised later. I cast in about a 3rd of the way across and set about setting my maggot feeder up. Once set up I cast the maggot feeder in about 2/3 of the way across. I sat watching a motionless rod tip for about half an hour while recasting to keep the bait going in. I was very surprised not to pick up a single knock on it.

I had set my pike rod up on an alarm and was keeping a watchful eye on that too. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw movement. I turn to look at the rod and it was pulling on and off to the left. It was very windy where I was so for a second I thought it could just be the wind. Then I realised it was a definite pull. I stood behind the rod to double check and then as it continued to nod I decided to pick it up and lift into it. At first I didnt feel anything. Then I just felt a dead weight so thought maybe a branch had come down the river and snagged me up. Then the branch went on a surging run which lasted a few seconds and it went to dead weight again. I continued to reel in still wondering what was going on but thinking it was either a very big fish or a big lump of wood. As it neared the bank I saw a shiny flank and got extremely excited.

I could see it was a pike but it didnt look that huge. I attempted to slide the net under it just as it decided to tailwalk away and surge off again before going to dead weight again.

I slid the net under it and I was so happy to have finally caught something. As I lifted the net up I was gobsmacked at the weight of fish. As I lifted the net clear of the water I couldn't believe my eyes. It was massive. It had the biggest belly I had ever seen on a pike. My pb before this was an 11lb fish from the canal.

Another lad came running over to see the fish and I got it unhooked and attempted to lift it for a photo which was very painful due to my elbow and hence the not so great pic. I weighed it and it went 18lbs!!!! I was absolutely buzzing with excitement. I had never seen a pike so big in my life. It was clearly female and full of spawn.

I gave it a good rest in the margins before she swam off into the depths to sulk.

What a morning. As it happens I had nothing at all on the maggot feeder and in the afternoon I opted to go and use my maggots on a still water. Don't think I will top that pike for a while but I will certainly be trying!!!!

(apologies for the blurred background)

6zrlly.jpg

• Like 3

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Nice fish but i dont want to alarm you i think theres a time warp approaching from behind you said sorry but that could have been said next week or perhaps just hiding where you was tomorrow

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Nice fish but i dont want to alarm you i think theres a time warp approaching from behind you said sorry but that could have been said next week or perhaps just hiding where you was tomorrow

I would have much preferred to leave the background in but when I posted it on facebook it was recognised right away and I would quite like to keep catching them from there :bleh:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Your secrets safe with me i dont even recognise my face in the mirror any more

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson