A fishing hat.

Ken L

What do you use?

I've had Akubra's in the past but they're rubbish at holding their shape and not exactly cool in the heat.

For the last three years, I've had an Amazonas tarp hat which has been pretty good but which has just about given up the ghost after I was forced to put it through the washing machine.

There are lots to chose from but I'm struggling to find a nice one that is robust and has a wide brim.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I can get boonies from China or the surplus shop (if I can find one to fit my 62cm head) but I don't like a floppy brim.

Some of the Tilley's are nice but at £60 and up, they ain't cheap.

What I'm really after is something pretty close to my Tarp Hat with a stiffening wire in the rim but I was wondering what else might be out there.

Maybe something with a bit more ventilation.

I seem to recall seeing dozens of hats of that sort in Australia but I'm not seeing much here.

I'm only really interested in a hat for Summer fishing and travelling because on my last trip to Sri-Lanka, I was able to pick up a couple of nice waxed cotton hats for winter use - one "Stetson" branded and the other a "Mossy Oak".

Edit: I think I may have found the problem. I just went to the website that I used almost 20 years ago to order Aussie stuff and found a fairly typical Australian summer hat. I then found the same hat on sale in the UK at twice the price....

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Barbour Bushman, a very wide brim (I wear specs) and warm in the winter. It does need regular waxing to stay waterproof and even then heavy rain will soak through eventually.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Barbour Bushman, a very wide brim (I wear specs) and warm in the winter. It does need regular waxing to stay waterproof and even then heavy rain will soak through eventually.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

This one looks the part Ken & under a tenner.

Unless you really want to splash out 40 odd quid for a Barbour??

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjsjuXup9fSAhVXXhkKHc4RBs4YABAFGgJsZg&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESIeD2BlMstB5as7A237mJ1O4pne52XOiHJJui7A5hsj48LA&sig=AOD64_0t9b3mUlvc9XOdkAbU6bUKsHlAKg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjItd7up9fSAhXJDcAKHTWxAugQvhcIKw&adurl=

The Tight Arsed Yorkshireman's choice all day long for me :)

P.S. I see you're not able to accept PM's - maybe you want to look at your settings?? or Maybe you've chosen not to??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks for the link Martin but the Boonie type hats tend o have a soft brim that sags with a bit of sweat or rain, making the wearer look like a rather dejected mushroom.

Not sure what's going on with the PM's so thanks for the headsup. I changed one of the settings but there was no obvious "enable" tab so we'll have to see if anything changes.

I've located a couple of possibles at around 30 - 35 quid but I'm still looking.

I may just wait for the various shops and suppliers to bring in their summer stock 'cause there isn't really much of a rush.

Edit: Scratch that last line. I just ordered the 'Dorfman Pacific Mesh Safari Hat' from Amazon. Postage is a bit steep but I assume the reasonable price is because it's being posted from abroad.

It may not be the perfect fishing hat but it ticks all the boxes for taking travelling so it'll do for now.

Edited by Ken L

I saw an angler down the pond last year in the rain with a great hat ,at first i thought it was a tilley but the rear brim was twice as wide as the front ,the rain merely ran off the back well behind his chair and no doubt in the summer it would keep the sun off your neck or turned round out of your eyes.

Wired brim like the hardy rivermasters but probably cheaper?

Tilleys are expensive but garaunteed for life ,i think even losing one gets a replacement but an angler mentioned that so salt in pinches needs adding?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson