• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,724 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

A lot of the time animals wont trigger the lights as Jim says try a trail cam or night vision cctv ,we had 4 badgers in the garden two ran off with the same bit of bread which was quite amusing and another night a fox sitting patiently 10 feet from a cat waiting for it to leave the pile of scraps we left out.
Most foxes wont touch cats they have claws and teeth but i suppose a few have the knack of killing them without harm to themselves .

Animals appear to know not to take avoidable risks for instance deer will only jump a fence as last resort they will always try and push through it ,breaking a leg jumping usually means a slow death

Edited by chesters1, 10 April 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#22 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

A lot of the time animals wont trigger the lights as Jim says try a trail cam or night vision cctv ,we had 4 badgers in the garden two ran off with the same bit of bread which was quite amusing and another night a fox sitting patiently 10 feet from a cat waiting for it to leave the pile of scraps we left out.
Most foxes wont touch cats they have claws and teeth but i suppose a few have the knack of killing them without harm to themselves .

Animals appear to know not to take avoidable risks for instance deer will only jump a fence as last resort they will always try and push through it ,breaking a leg jumping usually means a slow death

:clap3:  I've set the sensors to sensitive and a hog will light them up so anything bigger than a field mouse will illuminate the area. The light came on last night and it was the big dog fox, come to eat the hog food so obviously no hogs coming round.  :bye2:

#23 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

:clap3:  I've set the sensors to sensitive and a hog will light them up so anything bigger than a field mouse will illuminate the area. The light came on last night and it was the big dog fox, come to eat the hog food so obviously no hogs coming round.  :bye2:

:clap3: Got the moderated shot gun and subsonic cartridges. Did a few test firings and was quite impressed with the pattern and lack of noise, although I'm told it needs "about 100 shots to get it really quiet", well that won't happen with a box of 25 cartridges. Tried to get a trap off the RSPCA , only got a message saying phone between 9am and 5pm. Phoned after 9am, got the same message, phoned after 10am, got the same message, phoned after 11am, again same message. This went on for 3 days so drove to their "Ark", needed sat nav to find it. We don't lend traps any more but if you phone the other number they "may bring one". I've been phoning for 3 days and I just get a recorded message I replied. Well we're short of staff so we don't have time to answer the phones she said. I said, you must have a hotline to the other number because you're not going to wait days to get through I said. No we don't she said, liar I thought. RSPCA, don't expect a donation or a legacy in my will. So it will have to be killed, no option now.  :bye2:

#24 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

:clap3: Got the moderated shot gun and subsonic cartridges. Did a few test firings and was quite impressed with the pattern and lack of noise, although I'm told it needs "about 100 shots to get it really quiet", well that won't happen with a box of 25 cartridges. Tried to get a trap off the RSPCA , only got a message saying phone between 9am and 5pm. Phoned after 9am, got the same message, phoned after 10am, got the same message, phoned after 11am, again same message. This went on for 3 days so drove to their "Ark", needed sat nav to find it. We don't lend traps any more but if you phone the other number they "may bring one". I've been phoning for 3 days and I just get a recorded message I replied. Well we're short of staff so we don't have time to answer the phones she said. I said, you must have a hotline to the other number because you're not going to wait days to get through I said. No we don't she said, liar I thought. RSPCA, don't expect a donation or a legacy in my will. So it will have to be killed, no option now.  :bye2:

:clap3:  Had an email from the RSPCA today wanting to know why I wanted to trap the fox as we shouldn't mess with nature and to let it take it's course, so I said trap it and remove it or I'll shoot it, waiting for their response.  :clap3:

#25 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Not the RSPCA's policy to prioritise one animal above another, let nature run it's course. Logically I take that to mean when all the hedgehogs have been eaten the fox problem goes away.  :hammer:

#26 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

:clap3: Since buying the moderated .410 and a box of subsonic magnum cartridges no sign of the dog fox, has he heard I'm out to get him or has he fallen to the great motor car? Some good news, had two hogs in the garden last night having a good feed which they repaid by mating under the security light, exibitionists or what? The downside of this union could be a late brood of young hogs which I'll have to feed through the winter and keep safe from the Bengal killer cat, more stress.  :clap3: