Final evening on the Ribble

AddictedToScopex

Well I had my final evening on the Ribble on the 13th. Turned out to be a more modest affair with no barbel caught. A few small chub and loads of plucks on the line. At first I was fishing bigger baits for the barbel but my closer rod was getting hammered with sharp bites and I suspected that it was being attacked by small chub so I decided to change my tactics on that rod. I only had hard baits with me so opted to use a 10mm boilie which was hooked directly with lots of the hook showing and continued to feed mixed coarse and halibut pellets in pva mesh.

The tactic began to pay off as I landed some small chub but then to my surprise it was the rod with the large bait (2x16mm boilies) which went next. I lifted into the fish and didnt feel much of a fight but there was a definite jagged nature to the pull of the fish. I didnt suspect chub as it just didnt feel like one but I wasnt sure what else it could have been. I played the fish in and slipped the net under it and was surprised to see a very silver fish. Being dark it took me a moment to realise that it was in fact a big roach! It looked huge compared to many of the roach I had caught this year. I unhooked it and weighed it. Just shy of 2lbs. It must have had a hell of a hunger to try to wolf down 2x16mm boilies. I was quite impressed :)

51yk8x.jpg

I slipped the fish back and continued fishing only for my closer rod to go this time. Again it was a very snappy series of bites followed by a characteristic jagged run pattern. I didnt think I could be lucky enough to get another big roach but as I slid the net under it I saw another bright silver flank albeit a bit more of a weathered old soul. I weighed it as it looked a lump and again it was a shade under 2lbs! What a run of fishing I have had in the last few sessions. Pb pike, pb barbel and pb roach in the last 3 sessions. Someone is definitely shining down on me!

2chlsw9.jpg

• Like 3

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Wow RiK - two fantastic Roach to sign off with.

Or will you be tempted to have another couple or so goes??

Maybe with a big bunch of red Maggots?? - you can buy as little as 1/4 pint our end - easily enough for a couple of hours hook baits & maybe eek them out with a few in a small groundbait/cage feeder??

If you don't have groundbait - damp soil from the bank would do!! (The Mud cloud might even get you a nice big Perch)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yes of course Rik, I was thinking because License expires 31st March that so did the season. :doh:

In my defense however, my season Never really ends these days because I really only fish still water. :marinheiro:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Wow, two lovely looking roach there. As much as I like to see catches of decent barbel, chub etc, nothing 'floats my boat' like roach.

I don't suppose they are the 'in' fish with many anglers. For every 1000 pictures of carp, 100 of barbel, chub, tench, and recently perch, you get just one like yours. I suppose it's a nostalgic thing, but I really enjoy seeing them. Nice one, thanks. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

. Just shy of 2lbs.

I (and Gozzer) know the feeling. But a splendid fish anyway, never mind what it weighs. Well done.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...