N-Tice Polony meat

Martin56

I tried this just the once back end of last season without success - It was a very cold & miserable weather day & no one caught that much anyway so Jury's out right now.

I will however persevere this season as it looks as though could well be a killer rather than standard supermarket stuff.

£2.99 for 340 g tin.

Tin says catches Barbel as well - of course it will, but not mentioned in the text, but says so on side of tin ie next to the picture of a Barbel :blink: though the Halibut flavour one could fair better for the Barbel??

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNmsmPrPXSAhXFUBQKHaLfAPEQFggrMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bait-tech.com%2Fportfolio%2Fluncheon-meat%2F&usg=AFQjCNGjgoNECpBbCHgJXa0sAKzvFPmTGQ&sig2=3smAjzAdNobb0Yw3iW9u2w

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I don't think that I've used Polony meat yet, but I often use the boosted meat and Halibut flavoured meat when after barbel and chub and have caught hundreds of barbel and chub on it.

I particularly like its firmness and the way it stays on the hook and on a hair (unlike standard luncheon meat).

I will definately be giving the Polony flavour a try next season,

I tried this just the once back end of last season without success - It was a very cold & miserable weather day & no one caught that much anyway so Jury's out right now.

I rarely use meat In the depths of winter when the water temps are very low because I don't like using baits with any fat content in very cold water because the fat solidifies and doesn't look very appealing Lol.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I don't think that I've used Polony meat yet, but I often use the boosted meat and Halibut flavoured meat when after barbel and chub and have caught hundreds of barbel and chub on it.

I particularly like its firmness and the way it stays on the hook and on a hair (unlike standard luncheon meat).

I will definately be giving the Polony flavour a try next season,

I rarely use meat In the depths of winter when the water temps are very low because I don't like using baits with any fat content in very cold water because the fat solidifies and doesn't look very appealing Lol.

Keith

Keith - Bait Tech's resident Barbel expert, Justin Beale, also recommends sweetcorn in shallow, clear swims in Summer (see the tips - user tips button in the Link at start of thread)

Edited by Martin56

I mostly use Punched Meat, having first cut it into slices, some 8 & some 10 mm thick, (saving a slice or 2 to cut/tear up as required on the bank) then use what's left from inbetween (the Flash) as loose feed. Maybe not for the Polony then, due to its Near Neutral Buoyancy - could use the Polony punched scraps in a feeder to get it down.

My punch is actually just the cap from a thick felt tip pen about 8 mm dia' with the end drilled out so I can either blow the meat out or push it out - with a pusher (a plastic drinking straw is perfect as a pusher) This way I can quickly punch 4 or 5 pieces in one go for the bait box.

I like to use Punched meat as a change to the "Cubed - Seen it all before" thing + a cylinder slips into a Barbel's mouth much easier especially if they're more just browsing & digging around for the sake of it rather than feeding hard!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

I've always wondered why "anglers" luncheon meat is over 3 times the price of supermarket stuff! same with sweetcorn . .

I use supermarket stuff and add my own flavoring if needed - works out a hell of a lot cheaper!

hint - cut meat at home, put in plastic bag, add a big spoonful of GLM powder, give it a good shake and then store in the fridge overnight.

Mat

• Like 2

Mat

I've always wondered why "anglers" luncheon meat is over 3 times the price of supermarket stuff! same with sweetcorn . .

I use supermarket stuff and add my own flavoring if needed - works out a hell of a lot cheaper!

hint - cut meat at home, put in plastic bag, add a big spoonful of GLM powder, give it a good shake and then store in the fridge overnight.

Mat

Mat the "anglers" luncheonmeat (as you call it) bears very little resemblance to supermarket luncheonmeat other than being based on the same type of meat, although I agree with you about the sweetcorn sold in tackleshops which I think is usually way over priced.

I use the 'anglers' luncheonmeat simply because the barbel in the rivers I fish love it, its a lot (and I mean lot) firmer and less fatty than normal luncheonmeat; so can be easily mounted onto hairs; and even side hooked if you want it to be; and can be cast (even heavy handedly) without any fear of it coming off during the cast (something that can't always be relied on when I'm using normal luncheon-meat) plus the very effective flavours go right through the meat evenly and without having to freeze it. The cost; (which isn't exactly prohibitive) doesn't even come into the equation as it gives me so many extra advantages over supermarket luncheonmeat its well worth every penny.

I'm not knocking normal luncheonmeat as I have used normal luncheonmeat with flavours added and infused via freezing since the early 70s but it just doesn't give me all of the advantages that I now get.

Martin,

I use punched cylinder shaped meat as well, only I don't punch my meat in advance, I punch it as I use it, on the bank.

I use the original Seymo meat punches which have a plunger which allows you to push the cyclinder of meat out as you use it, (after first punching into the luncheonmeat to load it) see link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seymo-Fishing-Bait-Punch-18mm/162269358844?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D893e994f76164413acfc634d35a2e8fd%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361438815308

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Is anyone still using cubes of meat? :lol:

I've been using home made cylindrical punches for many years (one of each from 1/2" and 3/4" copper tube).

Supermarket meat is fine if you buy the right one, they do change the recipe from time to time and what was a good brand becomes useless (and wicky worky).

If there's eels around, more often than not I use Pepperami - they really can't get it off of my hair rigs ,(but it's fun watching the rod tip pull round a couple of feet as they try).

• Like 1

Is anyone still using cubes of meat? :lol:

Well no, not whole cubes, and for the same reason as you I guess. Cubes are difficult to hook without damaging the meat (Unless you thread them on the line before tying the hook on - which would be a pain :uhuh: )

My solution is a bit different. - if I want, say, about a cubic inch of meat on a hook, I cut a slice a quarter of an inch thick, cut it swiftly into one inch squares, and thread four of them onto the hook so that you have a miniature ready-sliced meat loaf :) . This avoids having to damage a cube by hook insertion.

Adaptable for any size hook - smaller hook - thinner initial slices. Bigger hook -thicker slices

A bonus is that it seems to be more resistant to bait-robbing. and more cut surfaces means more flavour diffusion

It's just one more job for my multi-tool knife - no rummaging in your bag for different size punches'

Works for rubbery commercial cheese also

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have only used meat a few times since fishing ,nothing flash no baits to catch the angler more than the fish and not from choice either.

A campsite we used to stay at in 2001 (east horsley) had a lovely little lake but because it had a varied clientele it had a limited bait policy (strangely all of it available in the shop) anyway my usual choice would be bread but i plumped for meat the first outing.

For the life of me i couldnt get luncheon meat to stay on on my hefty size 14 (theres carp in the pond to remove the fun of light fishing) i learned the trick from the angler in the next swim ,chop it in slices then little squares (i cut mine up when i needed a bit) and leave it in the sun (we had some in 2001!) Half an hour later it had turned into oiled rubber and it stayed put and caught fish .

Never used any other meat nor even pellets never punched bread (although i bought a contraption that knocked out a score at a time years ago)

Never used meat since i like bread occasionally maggots and worms but if i bought a can of luncheon meat i wold probably eat it long before i used it ,whole tin on a plate with brown sauce to dip it in mmmmmmm

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

. and more cut surfaces means more flavour diffusion

Been doing similar for a long time - great minds think alike! (and little ones seldom differ, according to my Dad).

A slice of salami (rolled up) and cut into portions is another good method: but unlike the LM I'm quite likely to eat that before the fish do.