N-Tice Polony meat

Martin56

A small Melon baller might also be worth a try - on a hair with a bait band Inside it??

The friction of the band is enough to grip the meat & are not just for banding the periphery like you would with say a pellet!! (which would cut through the meat)

I've bought hairs with the band ready tied.

Just giving them something a bit different to have a look at can make all the difference!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

I have only one "meat" story from your side of the pond. For some reason I can't call his name right now. A fishery fellow who was educated over here University of Wisconsin Eu Claire. He was rather regular on the forum about the time we switched from e-mail to "forum" format. Maybe his name began with a "B" (?).

Anyway, my meat story. I came to England in 1973 - 74. A pond was loosing fish at a record rate. All the fish were captured, moved to a holding pond and the original lake drained. Heavy equipment was moved in (this is when I arrived) and the bottom was removed. What was removed was exactly 1.33 meters of luncheon meat. As best I remember the pond was 3 or 4, maybe 5 acres. I remember, although I had come home, the water to refill the pond had to be trucked in from a nearby river source.

I will never understand certain aspects of UK anglers.

Phone

Yes phone, although I'm not aware of the incident - some fisheries now have a limit of meat an individual angler can take to the bank in a session, for instance, one or two medium sized tins or one Large tin (in a plastic container & no tins allowed on the bank!! & whatever medium or large constitutes??)

Some have even banned luncheon meat altogether as they've even seen (as I have) a layer of fat on the surface (I'm talking ponds here)

Think it's to do with evolution - Stone age, Bronze age, Iron age then Meat age - which really took off, & was uncontrolled in the 70's.

Also, the fat awareness thing (for humans anyway) was no big thing back in the day!! :rtfm: Yes of course the food industry knew about it for sure - but didn't share it with us!! (Like the ciggie people) Consulate Menthol Cigarettes - "Cool as a Mountain Stream"!!!!!!!!!!! was the PEARL & DEAN blurb at the cinema as I remember??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Trouble usually happens when anglers start to use a bait as feed, its usually Match men who often use meat ready cubed in bulk and often get their bait costs met by their sponsor.

I've read a few articles over the years where the writer has described how he prepares his meat before a match.

It wouldn't take long before you'd get a buildup of uneaten meat on the bottom when several anglers were regularly using it on a match lake in this way.

I've seen this with other baits too when a couple of Carp anglers were secretly prebaiting with buckets full of tigernuts on our estate lake (prebaiting is not allowed). When we took our boat out to the islands one day and we found thousands of tigernuts lying on the bottom uneaten and rotting all around the islands.

NB: Thanfully we caught the culprits and threw them out of the club before too much damage was done.

The average British angler will only get through less than one tin of luncheonmeat per session and on the small clear streams that I fish you will never find any luncheonmeat lying on the bottom uneaten.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I came to England in 1973 - 74. A pond was loosing fish at a record rate. All the fish were captured, moved to a holding pond and the original lake drained. Heavy equipment was moved in (this is when I arrived) and the bottom was removed. What was removed was exactly 1.33 meters of luncheon meat. As best I remember the pond was 3 or 4, maybe 5 acres. I remember, although I had come home, the water to refill the pond had to be trucked in from a nearby river source.

Hmmmm

Lets take the mid point of your area estimate and call it 4 acres 1 acre = 4840 square yards or roughly 4047 square metres

Now I don't imagine the layer of 1'33 metres was over the whole lake, or else

total amount of luncheon meat is 4047 X 4 x 1.33 = 21528 cubic metres. It is a big lorry that carries 5 cubic metres, and it would need 8588 such lorries.

Far more likely the 1.33 metres refers to the depth of luncheon meat in the swim nearest to the car park - even so, it is a lot - a lot of meat, and a lot of money, even at low-end supermarket prices.

I have fished at Redmire once (spent a week there and was pleased to catch carp, eels and gudgeon - the three species known to be there) One swim I avoided - it was shimmering gold, due to a carpet of sweet corn (or maybe maize) covering the bottom, and showing a fungal growth. The carp avoided that swim also - never saw a fish near it all week. Evidently the anglers you "will never understand" turn up everywhere - in those days anglers were vetted closely before being allowed to fish Redmire

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

I have only one "meat" story from your side of the pond. For some reason I can't call his name right now. A fishery fellow who was educated over here University of Wisconsin Eu Claire. He was rather regular on the forum about the time we switched from e-mail to "forum" format. Maybe his name began with a "B" (?).

Anyway, my meat story. I came to England in 1973 - 74. A pond was loosing fish at a record rate. All the fish were captured, moved to a holding pond and the original lake drained. Heavy equipment was moved in (this is when I arrived) and the bottom was removed. What was removed was exactly 1.33 meters of luncheon meat. As best I remember the pond was 3 or 4, maybe 5 acres. I remember, although I had come home, the water to refill the pond had to be trucked in from a nearby river source.

I will never understand certain aspects of UK anglers.

Phone

It's not just meat Phone, there's a well known lake in Cheshunt, (BB wrote about it in - probably Confessions etc.......) they had to drain the lake and removed a layer of sludge from the bottom which was rotting boilies, it's not a large lake and was heavily fished at the time (probably still is).

The fishery fellow "B" that you're looking for could be Bruno Broughton.

Hmmmm

Lets take the mid point of your area estimate and call it 4 acres 1 acre = 4840 square yards or roughly 4047 square metres

Now I don't imagine the layer of 1'33 metres was over the whole lake, or else

total amount of luncheon meat is 4047 X 4 x 1.33 = 21528 cubic metres. It is a big lorry that carries 5 cubic metres, and it would need 8588 such lorries.

Far more likely the 1.33 metres refers to the depth of luncheon meat in the swim nearest to the car park - even so, it is a lot - a lot of meat, and a lot of money, even at low-end supermarket prices.

I have fished at Redmire once (spent a week there and was pleased to catch carp, eels and gudgeon - the three species known to be there) One swim I avoided - it was shimmering gold, due to a carpet of sweet corn (or maybe maize) covering the bottom, and showing a fungal growth. The carp avoided that swim also - never saw a fish near it all week. Evidently the anglers you "will never understand" turn up everywhere - in those days anglers were vetted closely before being allowed to fish Redmire

Oi! Dont spoil it i was thinking of going there for lunch
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Oi! Dont spoil it i was thinking of going there for lunch

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,

It is not likely I am wrong. No doubt a portion of the 1+ meters was or could have been contaminated ground soil. I'm not sure all the waste had to be completely removed from the property (can't remember). Never the less I stand by the number. It was an enormous task.

Admittedly I was there for only a small portion of the task and then as a demonstration of "what can happen".

I'm not sure if your post is claiming it didn't happen or re-enforcing what an angler created tragedy such an event was.

Phone

We discussed the luncheon meat overload some time ago, if you remember Phone. I'm afraid my answer, although similar to Vagabonds, wasn't nearly so polite.

I've never had a problem with luncheon meat coming off the hook when casting, and usually use a cube. There are however many ways you can mount it on the hook, one similar to the one vagabond describes, but in a 'carrot' shape. Another was to use a thin strip, that will wave about in a current, this accounted for chub when static cube didn't. I have used one of my favourite baits on the same hook as luncheon meat, and that's cheese. It will balance a more buoyant meat, and add extra attraction to the bait, on hard days.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John