N-Tice Polony meat

Martin56

1.5 inches seems ok to me ,half a centimetre though takes longer to write than 5mm ,.5cm is slightly longer than half a centimetre and one and a half inches longer than all.

I tend to use feet and inches down to an inch then milimetres theres to many choices in fractions of an inch

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Really ? The ruler in my desk is marked in half inches on one edge and half centimeters on the other. The half centimeter line is not labelled as such, but nor is it labelled 5mm - just a longer line than its immediate neighbours.,

5mm or 0,5 cm - surely it matters not. Much more serious are the people who do not realise both mean the same thing.

Are there "no such things" as half a dozen, half a crown, half a minute, half a pint (well OK, that's for cheapskates) ?

My education overlapped both imperial and metric systems and I am quite happy with either. However, I agree there is far too much misunderstanding of measurements. The most serious objection to the metric system is the frequency with which people who are supposed to have a grasp of science get the decimal point in the wrong place. - or even three places - I came across a professional nurse that did not know the difference between milligrams and micrograms.

This reminds me of an apprentice I had back in the 70s just on the cusp of the change over from imperial to metric. Many of our drawings were still in imperial, while the material was in both metric, and imperial. We were squaring up a frame, by measuring across corners, and I asked him to shout out the reading. "Thirty three feet six inches and two bits", was the reply. I went over, asking what he was on about, and he pointed to the tape. "Those are eights", I said. "Ok, thirty three feet six inches and two eights", he said.

I hadn't realised that he hadn't done fractions at school.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Really ? The ruler in my desk is marked in half inches on one edge and half centimeters on the other. The half centimeter line is not labelled as such, but nor is it labelled 5mm - just a longer line than its immediate neighbours.,

5mm or 0,5 cm - surely it matters not. Much more serious are the people who do not realise both mean the same thing.

I was waiting for someone to pick me up on that. :P

Yes of course you can have half a centimetre: you can have half of anything including an atom if you can put up with the noise and other consequences - but the point is no-one is going to go into a builders merchant for example and ask for a sheet of half centimetre ply, they'll ask for 5mm ply (and if they're lucky they'll get either 4mm or 6mm). ;)

Despite going metric in the early 70s you can still buy a 2'6" door, but it'll be 762mm not 76.2cm or 0.762m, and as you say many many people don't understand that they're the same thing, which was the whole point in bringing it up.

I'm still waiting for a clarification on this 1.3m - was it a layer of 1.3m thick or 1.3 cu.m. once it was all collected?

I was waiting for someone to pick me up on that. :P

Yes of course you can have half a centimetre: you can have half of anything including an atom if you can put up with the noise and other consequences - but the point is no-one is going to go into a builders merchant for example and ask for a sheet of half centimetre ply, they'll ask for 5mm ply (and if they're lucky they'll get either 4mm or 6mm). ;)

Despite going metric in the early 70s you can still buy a 2'6" door, but it'll be 762mm not 76.2cm or 0.762m, and as you say many many people don't understand that they're the same thing, which was the whole point in bringing it up.

I'm still waiting for a clarification on this 1.3m - was it a layer of 1.3m thick or 1.3 cu.m. once it was all collected?

Theres always been comfusing with weights and measures i can buy 2lbs of spuds but the seller can sell me the metric equivilent ,fruit and veg is easy his side of the scale is in metric the other in imperial.

My biggest annoyance is millimetres as a number why do i need to buy things in millimetres when it can be meteres centimetres then millimetres!

Another annoying thing is the refusal to make things fit imperial things ,i bought some fllor boards and they were no-where near the old ones i had to fricking put hard board strips under them so the floor was flat! I blame people !

Everyone knows a 16ft rod will catch far more than a 48768mm one

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Theres always been comfusing with weights and measures i can buy 2lbs of spuds but the seller can sell me the metric equivilent ,fruit and veg is easy his side of the scale is in metric the other in imperial.

My biggest annoyance is millimetres as a number why do i need to buy things in millimetres when it can be meteres centimetres then millimetres!

Another annoying thing is the refusal to make things fit imperial things ,i bought some fllor boards and they were no-where near the old ones i had to fricking put hard board strips under them so the floor was flat! I blame people !

I see you have a grip of the 25.4 conversion thing chesters.

For those who don't - here it is (Trust me I'm an Engineer :wacko: )

Using 25.4 as the constant, here's what a foot is in Metric

12 (inches) X 25.4 = 304.8 mm (305 mm rounded up for most home use)

1/4" (0.250") = 6.35 mm

3/4" (0.750") = 19.05 mm (19 mm - the 0.05 mm is only 2 thousandths of an inch)

15/16" (0.9375") = 23.812 mm (24 mm close enough for home use)

Simply divide the above examples (or any) by 25.4 to convert Metric back to Imperial.

ie (but lets also say you're doing it in whole millimetres this time !!)

305 mm divided by 25.4 = 12.007" (12 inches rounded down) forget the 0.007 - that's 7 microns (7 thousandths of a millimetre) which unless you're in engineering like I am, is nothing to worry about in Ruler measurement terms.

The Metric system is much more accurate.

25.4 is God. :hypocrite: (In Linear measurement terms)

Did you know ?? - a Litre of water weighs Precisely 1 Kg.

(A Litre of say Cooking oil weighs Lighter - so don't use that)

Good to know when checking the accuracy of your weighing scales!!.

So a 2 Litre (Plastic) bottle of Pop straight from the shop can be used - 2 Kg.

Yes you say - the weight of the bottle?? - but That's next to nothing & close enough!! (Slightly over then!!)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

It doesn't confuse me Chesters.

I don't understand why you would find millimetres (rather than centimetres or metres) annoying. It greatly simplifies things.

When my mate says he wants a rafter cut at 3456mm long, I know exactly how long he wants it cos we work in millimetres, not centimetres or metres. He is never going to ask for a rafter of 3 metres 45centimetres and 6 millimetres.

You might as well say that feet and inches are annoying.

The rest of it is just progress and you learn to deal with it when you're doing it all the time - things change.

BTW, your rod at 48768mm is exceedingly long cos you forgot the decimal point. :lol:

This reminds me of an apprentice I had back in the 70s just on the cusp of the change over from imperial to metric. Many of our drawings were still in imperial, while the material was in both metric, and imperial. We were squaring up a frame, by measuring across corners, and I asked him to shout out the reading. "Thirty three feet six inches and two bits", was the reply. I went over, asking what he was on about, and he pointed to the tape. "Those are eights", I said. "Ok, thirty three feet six inches and two eights", he said.

I hadn't realised that he hadn't done fractions at school.

John.

I worked with a bloke once who only knew "big bits" and "small bits" they were 1/4" and 1/8".

He didn't do 1/2". So 5/8" would be two big bits and a small one. 1/16ths never got a look in.

It doesn't confuse me Chesters.

I don't understand why you would find millimetres (rather than centimetres or metres) annoying. It greatly simplifies things.

When my mate says he wants a rafter cut at 3456mm long, I know exactly how long he wants it cos we work in millimetres, not centimetres or metres. He is never going to ask for a rafter of 3 metres 45centimetres and 6 millimetres.

You might as well say that feet and inches are annoying.

The rest of it is just progress and you learn to deal with it when you're doing it all the time - things change.

BTW, your rod at 48768mm is exceedingly long cos you forgot the decimal point. :lol:

Yep' I noticed the decimal point thing as well ayjay.

I don't do Rafters bud, but I do Inspect the parts for the MOD's Weapons Handling & Firing systems for the Nuclear Subs.

Astute & Successor class.

Edited by Martin56

It's very like people who've never had a bet!! (Or just have a go on the Grand National once a year)

They don't understand "Odds"

For Instance Odds of 11/4 = Two & three quarters to one. (+ Stake returned)

Edited by Martin56

Yep' I noticed the decimal point thing as well ayjay.

I had to point it out cos I'm a pedant it delightfully illustrates how easy it is for things to go awry with metric measurements. :)