Pepsi advert

Andrew

You must be blind then Every time you see a brand or a companies logo, you've watched an advert.

Not all adverts are designed to merely sell sell a product. Some are for what marketing/adverrtising type people call "brand re-enforcement.

That's so offensive! They clearly "whitewashed" that advert because northern mill towns certainly don't look like that these days.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

That's so offensive! They clearly "whitewashed" that advert because northern mill towns certainly don't look like that these days.

It's no "northern mill town". Filmed about 45 miles or so from Southampton. Shaftesbury in Dorset. Did you know that that ad was directed by Ridley Scott?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I'm not blind, and so obviously I can't avoid seeing company logos and suchlike and I'm aware of what they are.

It deeply puzzles me that anyone wants to wander around advertising their gullibility by displaying the logo of various companies on their apparel, but I can avoid watching advertisements, particularly on the TV where they are most rife.

You see more ads just walking down your high street than you will ever see on TV. Every time you open your larder you are inundated. If you imagine that you are impervious to advertising then you are mistaken. Anglers are some of the most gullible. Most fishing lures are designed to catch anglers not fish.

I do agree with your take on designer goods though. I found a funny story concerning such things a few days ago. If I can find it again I'll post it in here.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

It's no "northern mill town". Filmed about 45 miles or so from Southampton. Shaftesbury in Dorset. Did you know that that ad was directed by Ridley Scott?

Yes, I knew it was filmed in Dorset but the accents certainly have nothing to do with the west country.

Yes, now you mention it, I do recall that one of them was produced by Scott. Was this one?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You see more ads just walking down your high street than you will ever see on TV. Every time you open your larder you are inundated.If you imagine that you are impervious to advertising then you are mistaken.

I walk down my high street about twice a year, once in July and once in December to buy a birthday and Christmas card for the wife, The adverts there don't sing at me, they don't do stupid dances, they don't play shitty jingle jangle music at me or verbally implore me to "BUY THIS" , "GET ONE OF THESE NOW".

I can tune out my surroundings as much or as little as I need to.

If you imagine that you know the extent of my hatred for advertising then you are mistaken - I'll guarantee you've underestimated.

I walk down my high street about twice a year, once in July and once in December to buy a birthday and Christmas card for the wife, The adverts there don't sing at me, they don't do stupid dances, they don't play shitty jingle jangle music at me or verbally implore me to "BUY THIS" , "GET ONE OF THESE NOW".

I can tune out my surroundings as much or as little as I need to.

If you imagine that you know the extent of my hatred for advertising then you are mistaken - I'll guarantee you've underestimated.

Your a human being just like the rest of us are. If you think your immune to advertising you are fooling no one except yourself.

This will tickle you methinks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39477966

Edited by corydoras

Yes, I knew it was filmed in Dorset but the accents certainly have nothing to do with the west country.

Yes, now you mention it, I do recall that one of them was produced by Scott. Was this one?

The original one from 1973, Originally Hovis was not a "brand" the same way it is today, it was a bread making process. Any baker could buy the flour, the process, and tins and bake his own "Hovis" bread.

Ajay's point about advertising is interesting.

Advertising is ruled by psychology and psychology is not about individuals, it's about herd responses.

It can undoubtedly influence people without them knowing it and anyone who doubts that human minds can be conditioned to respond in a desired manor without the person being aware of the conditioning need only watch Derren Brown to be convinced otherwise.

Not all individuals respond in the same way as the herd though (which is why Brown pre-tests for susceptibility) and some will ignore the advertising and some will have a reaction that is not at all wha the advertiser intended.

When I ride or walk along a road and see a guy in a brightly coloured outfit holding a big sign pointing the way to McDonalds, Dominos or Subway, I don't think "Mmmm tasty savoury treat". Instead, I think "there's a company who are prepared to humiliate and exploit young people who are desperate for a job - F**k 'em, I'll never use that company" - and I don't.

Ajay's point about advertising is interesting.

Advertising is ruled by psychology and psychology is not about individuals, it's about herd responses.

It can undoubtedly influence people without them knowing it and anyone who doubts that human minds can be conditioned to respond in a desired manor without the person being aware of the conditioning need only watch Derren Brown to be convinced otherwise.

Not all individuals respond in the same way as the herd though (which is why Brown pre-tests for susceptibility) and some will ignore the advertising and some will have a reaction that is not at all wha the advertiser intended.

When I ride or walk along a road and see a guy in a brightly coloured outfit holding a big sign pointing the way to McDonalds, Dominos or Subway, I don't think "Mmmm tasty savoury treat". Instead, I think "there's a company who are prepared to humiliate and exploit young people who are desperate for a job - F**k 'em, I'll never use that company" - and I don't.

But you'll happily use electronic equipment who's components are built using rare earth elements from China and may have been built using child labour.

Where are your clothes made?

Your a human being just like the rest of us are. If you think your immune to advertising you are fooling no one except yourself.

This will tickle you methinks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39477966

I'm human, (most of the time), but don't presume to know me better than I know myself, especially as we've never met.

Sorry cory, it's not so amusing that I'll have remembered it after my next nap.