crack adder?

chesters1

Spotted this story about a crack adder being 'native' to the uk?

Never heard of it only an adder!

Chap had a anaphylactic reaction to getting bitten by one.

I spent 4 days in hospital due to getting bit by one on the finger ,not the venom mind you i had a reaction to the injection given to me .

My reaction was wonderous left arm twice as thick as it used to be and completely black and blue and the same on the left side of my body to the waist it took a fortnight until it looked normal .

Some amusing interludes which i mention the last time i mentioned it

Sure the sun mentioned crack but the mail does

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4403982/Father-27-left-fighting-life-adder-bite.html

Not sure they attack but they do react!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps the crack is relevant to someone in the reporting chain :crazy:

I too have been bitten by an adder/ On Ashdown Forest adders are common. When I was about eight I trod on one. It bit me through my leather sandal. It felt about as bad as a wasp sting, but less painful than a bee sting.

I ran all the way home. As I understand now, received wisdom says that movement of the affected limb is the worst possible option !

My parents didn't believe me** ! All that happened was that I was scolded for being "late" (If it hadn't been for the adder I would have been even later - lateness was a perpetual condition in those days.)

Anyway, scolding and being sent to bed seemed to work - right as rain the next day - perhaps the amount of venom injected was minimal.

** The Chesters approach - believe nothing - fine, except that they believed any old hocus-pocus spouted by the local hedge-priest

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It felt like i had a tiny bit of glass puncture me ,i felt ok but half an hour later i had pain under my arm so the mrs 'advised' me to go to A&E .

I was seen eventually after being recognised from the week before suffereing from 'owls foot in eye' and felt ok but in their wisdom the doctor gave me an injection (i thought anti hystamines?) Anyway suddenly i felt very unwell enough to get the attention of those around me and suddenly injections and drips came thick and fast and i awoke in intensive care.

They had me in there 2 days then two days on the ward before i insisted i went home ,the most amazing thing was my scooter was unpinched in the car park but great fun was had trying to change gear with an apendage that refused to work so i had to change gear with the right hand whilst holding the throttle with the left!(the lambretta gear change was on the left handle bar)

Had i taken the zundapp it was right foot gearchange so no problem

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I found a snake skin in my yard this morning.

It was over three foot long.

Now I'm wondering where the snake is.

tried to post a pic but for some reason not able to.

It was probably from a brown snake as they are the most common round here.

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

It felt like i had a tiny bit of glass puncture me ,i felt ok but half an hour later i had pain under my arm so the mrs 'advised' me to go to A&E .

I was seen eventually after being recognised from the week before suffereing from 'owls foot in eye' and felt ok but in their wisdom the doctor gave me an injection (i thought anti hystamines?) Anyway suddenly i felt very unwell enough to get the attention of those around me and suddenly injections and drips came thick and fast and i awoke in intensive care.

They had me in there 2 days then two days on the ward before i insisted i went home ,the most amazing thing was my scooter was unpinched in the car park but great fun was had trying to change gear with an apendage that refused to work so i had to change gear with the right hand whilst holding the throttle with the left!(the lambretta gear change was on the left handle bar)

Had i taken the zundapp it was right foot gearchange so no problem

It sounds to me like they gave you antivenom and that you had a bad reaction to it and went into anyphylactic shock. One of the injections was probably a big bump of adrenalin.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It sounds to me like they gave you antivenom and that you had a bad reaction to it and went into anyphylactic shock. One of the injections was probably a big bump of adrenalin.

Heaven knows but not allergic to any of the common causes but it came on instantaneous after that first injection perhaps i am alergic to needles it wasnt the first time someone picked me off the floor having an injection lol

As far as I am aware I am not allergic to anything. That does not mean that I'm not allergic to something that I have not encountered yet. The scenario you describe is just like a classic case of anaphylactic shock.

When I was about eight my old man used to keep bees. He had kept them for years and had been stung many times to no great ill effect. Then one day he was stung by one and he had an acute reaction, he almost died and had to give up the bees after that. I think my mum has a photo of me with a queen bee in its wee box clenched in my fist with a whole swarm on my hand, like a giant bee boxing glove.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Just come off the Giant Hogweed thread. A relative of that (Alexanders - found growing near the sea) was used to "cure" snakebite in the Middle Ages, Not a lot of use if you are bitten in Surrey and the nearest Alexanders is growing on Folkestone cliffs.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Just come off the Giant Hogweed thread. A relative of that (Alexanders - found growing near the sea) was used to "cure" snakebite in the Middle Ages, Not a lot of use if you are bitten in Surrey and the nearest Alexanders is growing on Folkestone cliffs.

Another introduced species, one of those things the Romans did for us.