Senior (and not so senior) moments

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ayjay

ayjay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,952 posts
  • Interests:Knife licking: birdwatching : :playing with mud and fire: beer.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

Thanks guys  - that is one angling book I don;t possess - when was it first published  ?   I would guess 1970s/1980s

Tying eyed hooks in the dark was common knowlege amongst night fishers for carp n the 1960s

First published 1981, second edition 1982: it's on page 102 of the second edition.

#22 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,835 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Thanks guys  - that is one angling book I don;t possess - when was it first published  ?   I would guess 1970s/1980s

Tying eyed hooks in the dark was common knowlege amongst night fishers for carp n the 1960s

Lots of editions i sold a first but still have a tenth.
Pm me your address and i will send it on

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#23 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,006 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

Lots of editions i sold a first but still have a tenth.
Pm me your address and i will send it on

That's very sporting, you have PM and many thanks

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#24 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,835 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

It will be in the post today ,luckily my mrs has physio or it wouldnt be until thursday ,enjoy

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#25 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,006 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

Just back from a three-day fishing trip (only small perch in two scorchers followed by a thunderstorm)   Always found thunderstorms good, but not this time.

Anyway,  delighted to find the Kevin Maddox book in my letter box - many thanks Chesters - excellent packing too - custom made from cardboard, so that although the outside of the parcel looked as if the Guildford GPO had used it as a soccer ball, the book was  absolutely undamaged.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#26 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,835 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

Hope you enjoy it ,anytime
The cardboard was from that cheap magners cider i picked up at sainsburys lol

Edited by chesters1, 22 June 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#27 Martin56

Martin56

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Horse Racing, Guitar.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:01 AM

Hope you enjoy it ,anytime
The cardboard was from that cheap magners cider i picked up at sainsburys lol

Hic'  :black_eye:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

#28 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

Hic'  :black_eye:

My label was shocking ,i stuck on the label then wrote on the bubble envelope which didnt help ,my senior moment!
If i had put the book in first it would have been 50% better or not

Edited by chesters1, 23 June 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#29 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Golf and collecting Fishing Tackle and books.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

A 'not' so senior moment was when I first went long range carping back in the 80s on a largish Kent lake and I used a helicopter type rig without a back stop. As you can imagine my lead went quite far but the hook length slid up during the cast and ended up close to my bank near to my feet.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear, 25 June 2017 - 09:37 AM.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

#30 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,835 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

I did similar at a first trip to a pond getting there after dark ,i hurled out my lead to the far bank and settled down ,as dawn broke i glanced up my bait was hanging down from a overhead branch just above the front of the swim ,the lead had ofcourse gone along with the line as it was a free running ledger ,as the bobbin was very light i stopped reeling in when it lifted not noticing where the line from the tip was pointing