8 replies to this topic

#1 76jerry

76jerry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Hi

Have been using Guru QM hooks with plenty of sucess only problem is they need a knotless knot which means I have gone back to mono, any one know of a knotless knot or whipping I can use with fluorocarbon that is really reliable. 

cheers

#2 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Knots are a matter of confidence most of the time.  Here is a chart -  I'm not sure I believe it myself but at least it is published.  The numbers are for fluorocarbon.

923a21e746ea59f8d54c731ec1d1dec2.jpg

Phone

#3 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Stepping back a moment - what attributes of the knotless knot do you need? Do you need a hair? Is it about the way the hook lies?

#4 76jerry

76jerry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

These QM hooks was near a circle hook as I could find, it is the way the lines lies need it to be sitting on the back of the shank but coming through  the eye for best hooking. Not fishing a hair but using these hooks for fishing Bread for Chub or Mullet

#5 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

OK - in that case you might want to try one of the spade end whipping knots with the line then going back through the eye.

Alternatively, you can get bent hook sleeves (bits of curved silicone rubber) which would allow you to use whatever knot you wanted.

#6 Bartman

Bartman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

I'm probably being a bit dim here ( not for the first time ) but could you not use a knotless knot and just cut the hair off ?

#7 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I'm probably being a bit dim here ( not for the first time ) but could you not use a knotless knot and just cut the hair off ?

Yes you can, just tie it without a loop for the hair and trim the tag end. If a knotless knot copes with landing hair rigged caught fish it should be just as good without the hair.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

#8 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

I think Jerry is saying he doesn't trust the knotless knot with fluoro, not that the hair is a problem. Can't say I've had any problems with it myself.

#9 Wilko 09

Wilko 09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Coarse & Fly Fishing, Motorbikes.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

This one any good? :
http://www.animatedk...snell/index.php

Oh dear, how sad, what a pity!