Anyone have much experience with Loch Awe?

philocalist

I must have been doing something right lately, as out of the blue I've been handed a loch-side chalet on Loch Awe in a couple of weeks.

As most will know, this is a massive piece of water renowned for its pike ... and I'm seeking that Holy Grail amongst anglers - someone prepared to share a fishing spot (or two) :D

However - I'm NOT looking for the hidey-hole of the residents crocs, just somewhere I can access easily that is likely to produce easy fishing with perch, possibly trout, to spinning rods wielded by my two youngsters - just somewhere they can have a bit of supervised fun ..... I'm quite happy to search out the pike myself later in the stay, most likely travelling the margins in a boat with various lures.

We're on the western bank, maybe two thirds of the way down in almost total isolation ... I'd really like to find somewhere in that region if at all possible, rather than need to drive all over each day - the local roads are extremely 'rustic', and journeys tend to be described in terms of travel time rather than distance :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help - a PM is perfectly OK if you'd prefer not to broadcast the info :D

To answer the question. A fair bit, but not as much as I would like. Its a beautiful place.

Not fished from the bank much down the west side, but if it's like the other sides, I don't think you will struggle to find access.

As you say, its a vast water and a boat will give you good access and mobility.

Down the west side Dalavich is the place for boat hire and fishing permits if you need them. Not been there for a few years but it used to be run by a chap called John who was a good source for up to date fishing info. They also do tickets for Loch Avich which can be good for bownies from the bank early season.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJgf6qid3TAhUFLsAKHZsdBbUQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flochaweside-marine.co.uk%2Fconditions.html&usg=AFQjCNHc335xcC83CaAKL0as4rcjVZfqyw

ps. There is a loch called Tromlee north of there near Kilchrenan that should produce plenty small jacks to young spinning roders from the bank.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I was going to ask my son but that lochs way doon sooth to him hes higher than the highlands

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Ive only fished it a handful of times cant justify the effort for just a few hours fishing poach called it loch **** awe for that reason as ive had heehawe few runs but still to bank something other than minnows :D

It can be a ball buster.

I've had some very nice humpies out of it. The thing is I cannot remember where from, I doubt I could find the same spot again.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I've had some very nice humpies out of it. The thing is I cannot remember where from, I doubt I could find the same spot again.

First time i fished it i showed up cast out a ledger and it just kept sinking and sinking and sinking so started to wond in and got cut off on a ledge. It musta went from a couple of ft to 200ft within a rod length out.

A truly scary place and they still havnt found joachim, https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/717870/hunt-for-missing-joachim-brolly-last-seen-on-boat-four-days-ago-in-argyll/

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk