Satellite TV boxes

Sportsman

We will be moving to the house in France next month and looking for advice on Freesat boxes.

There is a satellite dish currently in use at the house and that will be staying so I assume that bit is OK.

I am looking at Freesat boxes on Amazon though and I don't understand why there are boxes priced at £150.00 and up and boxes that seem to do the same things priced at £30.00

Are they the same or am I comparing apples and oranges?

All I want is a box to connect to the dish and off we go, with a minimum of "adjusting"

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Looks to me like the cheap ones either aren't PVRs (ie they don't have a hard drive to record TV to) or they are unbranded container from China jobs.

They claim to record.

I suspect the Chinese container load is closer to the mark.

Still, if it does what it claim, it's only TV.

Thanks

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The freesat ones as mentioned dont get more channels but have pvr options and streaming options built in ,so you can record and watch later ,pause live tv then come back and watch from where it was paused ,watch one channel while recording others and watch on demand tv via bRoadband

I have a non freesat couple of satellite boxes and a motorised dish one box has pvr of a basic type where you can record and watch channels only on the same transponder this uses a single imput from the dish and the other can record several channels as it uses 2 inputs.

As said they are basic but get most of the freesat channels plus thousands of channels freesat (freesat is a company) cannot from any satellite the dish can see (bigger dish more channels) .

Best bet for basic satellite is freesat then think about the extras you may want and buy the freesat box that does them but channel wise because freesat is a set of channels preset into a box the basic will get as many as the top of the range ones.

Non freesat satellite boxes are a while heap of difference and theres few things not made in china

My decent satellite box is purported to be german but is merely a rebadged amiko alian which is a rebadged etc etc but all made in china

The term the american love is made in america most of the time it means assenbled in america from chinese bits it just costs more than assembled in china and looks good to the americans

I forgot to add the best bit about freesat over just satellite is the programming system where you can save whole series ,mine can but if the schedule changes mine hasnt the function. To know wheras the freesat ones epg updates

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson