For Chesters1

corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Generally you avoid iron metal detecting so unless the hilt is non ferrous you would leave it thinking its a bit of farm machinery thats going to take an hour to dig up for little point

But saying that magnet fishing is catching on here so lots of bits of iron are being dragged up all over the country from rivers ,unfortunately our river is a bit shallow so iron would oxidise quickly but in slow rivers things should be relatively good,i just bought a pair of welding magnets from lidl (big ceramic ones are expensive) and am waiting for the ring bolts so i can have a go myself

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I keep thinking of Chesters when I see the advert with the guy detecting on the beach, all excited when he gets a massive return and then digs up an old metal detector!

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I keep thinking of Chesters when I see the advert with the guy detecting on the beach, all excited when he gets a massive return and then digs up an old metal detector!

Until recently in 40 years i have found far far more gold not using a detector than using one ,some lucky git will buy a machine walk out the door and hit a hoard!

Its amazing how close it is to fishing ,you get a bite and you dont know what it will be and detecting you get a beep and its the same.

Modern machines can give a clue but they're not perfect a ringpull can cover half the scale depending if the tab is in the normal position or folded into the ring and theres still millions of ring pulls left ,the new pull tabs are a bit easier but cover the range big gold is in so you dig up the buggers anyway, a bit like carp fishing and hooking bream!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

So what type of detector do you use chesters1? VLF or PI?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

So what type of detector do you use chesters1? VLF or PI?

Vlf ,pi hasnt much use inland theres to much iron but soon there will be a dual machine where you find an object in pi then discriminate using vlf the trouble is the discrimination side cannot go as deep as the pi so you will be digging lots of deep iron and hopefully out of range stuff vlf ones cannot see.

Physics is physics so the old top of the range machines go just as deep as the new ones but the discrimination side has improved in motion mode ,i like the bells and whistles but unfortunately the brit ones just continually rebadge old machines ,one companies top of the range machine is 20 years old and compared to present ones is capable but lacking in features

I have a couple of american machines (purely because brit ones are stuck in the 90's) and they do well but are confused by our ring pulls there must be something different in ours even notching them out (you can select them not to be seen by the detector) you get plenty ,generally americans just hunt modern stuff or civil war stuff so its shallow coins or rings or bits a bit deeper but in clean fields

The worst things are modern clad 1p 2p or 10p coins and bottle tops ,the machine sees the coating stain in the soil but once you disturb it the target is very hard to pin down as whats left is mostly iron so usually discriminated out

My machine is so sensitive on full power it can sense the electricity in your hand and the minerals in horse wee!

Edited by chesters1

Chesters1,

Say that American part again. I don't believe I heard you correctly.

I have (had) the DSR Ground Exper Pro. It's like playing charades. I've never seen a single picture that I could figure out what it is. BTW it has now been "claimed" by a grandson in Pocatello Idaho. There's gold in them thar' hills. He says he's locating, on average, $250 - 300 a week on his two days off. He says he's becoming a creek expert (creek= small mountain stream).

You are right, bells and whistles are all that's new with the exception of refining current science. Next one I buy will be able to identify dark matter.

Phone

Chesters1,

Say that American part again. I don't believe I heard you correctly.

I have (had) the DSR Ground Exper Pro. It's like playing charades. I've never seen a single picture that I could figure out what it is. BTW it has now been "claimed" by a grandson in Pocatello Idaho. There's gold in them thar' hills. He says he's locating, on average, $250 - 300 a week on his two days off. He says he's becoming a creek expert (creek= small mountain stream).

You are right, bells and whistles are all that's new with the exception of refining current science. Next one I buy will be able to identify dark matter.

Phone

Gold is hard stuff to find ,if you think 9carat is two thirds not gold you are finding the not gold bit but pure gold is difficult ,on my machine asian gold (21c 22c) is right down the scale between iron and foil so to get it you dig top iron and foil and my new site has had festivals for 30 years so theres a lot of foil!

As for american if it does the job i will use it but the ruskies are bringing out some great machines so mr fisher (look that maker up) needs to keep oñ his toes .

My son has a sorex pro and me a fisher f75 his is way deeper than mine but mines discriminates better so theres a advantage i have in not finding as much crap but he can find stuff mine cannot in two hours i can beat him on coins purely because i dont dig as much rubbish

I guess though your chap is panning in oz its metal detectors in the main ,rings are easy detectors love rings because the hole is the part they lock on to ,a bit of iron without a hole is ignored but if it has a hole its seen as something else usually copper or silver

Dark matter will probably be ignored but dark matter with a white matter hole could be seen as grey matter

Never seen a vid with these exotic ground display machines actually finding anything nor the long range detectors nor californian sticks!

Edited by chesters1

I watched some of those magnet fishing vids. Interesting idea. I keep meaning to try it :)

Not so good here but in russia and the balkans they find tanks lol theres lots of great nazi stuff us undefeated lose out on

Dont be fooled by "pull" concerning magnets that ok for a square bit of iron being pulled straight up but a magnet will slip easily sideways and the pull weight comes to nothing

Edited by chesters1