Water

Phone

All,

This is a question I'm sure we have discussed many times - I either forget the answer or there is no straight forward answer.

WHO OWNS THE WATER AND CONTENT IN YOUR INLAND WATERWAYS?

Phone

All,

This is a question I'm sure we have discussed many times - I either forget the answer or there is no straight forward answer.

WHO OWNS THE WATER AND CONTENT IN YOUR INLAND WATERWAYS?

Phone

You're talking Rivers here Phone??

Well Many stretches are Leased by Angling clubs, but there are also Riparian owners - for instance a farmer may own the fields which a river flows through, but he doesn't own that part of the river. (though cattle/sheep etc owned by the farmer have the right to drink)

It's very unclear & vague & much goes back to the Domesday book.

The Riparian owners then - may not necessarily have the right to enter the farmers field without permission??

It's all very much an English thing, which I don't really have a full understanding of myself!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

The bank and bed of the river are owned by the landowner/s but the water appears to be owned by the state as you need permission to take some of it

Landowners own the fishing rights as a angler would have to enter the land to fish from it ,the hazy bit concerns canoes but the old ploy of fishing from bridges no longer cuts the mustard but served me ok a few times

The fish within the river also appear to be owned by the state as periodically the EA take it fromnthe few stretches i have permission on and take them away but leave the trout behind as they are technically stocked but they should be the first to go they are so damn easy to catch on bread

I will take a rod and a few bits while detecting today and when i get hot digging up foil i shall sit in the shade cursing trout

Ponds are wholly owned by the landowner/s on whose land it sits as are the contents if they are there legally

Never understood why stream fed lakes are not streams but there you go ?!?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson