Video card problem

Sportsman

PC with Win 7 64bit

I have just attempted to upgrade my video card.

I run two screens that have DVI and VGA in. I have been using an old card that has DVI and VGA out and it has worked fine but seems to get stuck sometimes when filling in online forms.

New card is an Nvidai Geforce GT 710 with 2Gb DDR3 memory and DVI and VGA out so I thought it would be just a straight swap.

Changed the cards over. Old card had PCiE X16 connection. New card has PCiE X8 connection.

Put it in the same X16 slot the old one came out of, connected up the screens and the card worked fine on one screen attached to DVI. Nothing at all on VGA output. Tried it on X8 slot and doesn't work at all.

Am I missing something before I send it back?

Thanks

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Have you

a) googled the problem

B) contacted Nvidia

Just a thought, my boy won't answer unless I have

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Hi WNB

Googled it? Yes,. Just says click on detect. Doesn't work.

Spoke to Asus? :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::unsure::angry:

I spent half an hour on the phone going round and around in circles with their Press 2 or Press 7 menu.

Finally pressed a button at random and got through to a human, to be told that they don't offer tech support for components. Another way of saying "sorry chum, you didn't spend enough"

I can return it to Amazon for a refund, but I just wondered if there was something I missed, before I do.

To add insult to injury, when I plugged the card in it found drivers etc. and since then the PC has patches where it slows down so much it takes at least a minute to open chrome. Never had this before. I thought it had corrected itself when it started to run normally but it has just started to get slow again and I have no idea why. It doesn't seem to be connected to anything.

BTW, if the Asus factory burns down tonight I have a stone cold alibi.

PC with Win 7 64bit

I have just attempted to upgrade my video card.

I run two screens that have DVI and VGA in. I have been using an old card that has DVI and VGA out and it has worked fine but seems to get stuck sometimes when filling in online forms.

New card is an Nvidai Geforce GT 710 with 2Gb DDR3 memory and DVI and VGA out so I thought it would be just a straight swap.

Changed the cards over. Old card had PCiE X16 connection. New card has PCiE X8 connection.

Put it in the same X16 slot the old one came out of, connected up the screens and the card worked fine on one screen attached to DVI. Nothing at all on VGA output. Tried it on X8 slot and doesn't work at all.

Am I missing something before I send it back?

Thanks

Nvidia just make chips ,does the maker of the board let it use both outputs at once ?

If so you will use the software with the board to enable it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You're right.

NVIDIA chip, but the card maker is Asus.

Nothing boxed with the card.

The good news I got it to work. I went onto the Nvidia site and downloaded almost 400mb of driver.

Loaded the card and the opened the driver. Viola. Plug and play anyone?

Yay and its plug and pray remember lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson