plumbing or refridgeration help please eyebrows will be raised and perhaps shudders made.

chesters1

My g/kids and their mum will be staying in our trailer tent next month so i dragged my 3 way fridge out of the shed to test it (filled with different fizzy drinks the kids faces are a picture as they can choose cold drinks whenever they want rather than rummaging in ours!)

It stayed warm after plugging in and the usual cure is turning it upside down for a couple of hours then leaving it overnight before plugging in ,i this case it didnt work and i noticed there was no noise of the liquid moving about.

On close examination i found a pin hole which i soldered closed .

Now these beasts are expensive to buy new and hardly worth buying for the few times its ever going to be used before i pop my clogs.

I had a google and decided to experiment and perhaps refil it myself as cheaply as possible (raise eyebrows now) i had a think and opted out of putting it under a vacuum to see if the seals leak there are no seals and will not try and flush it with nitrogen to get the air and moisture out (shudder here)

The reasons being theres no compressor so no oil needed theres no moving parts at all so decided to purge it using the refill gas with one piercing valve one end of the pipework and another the far end and opening both valves and shutting one when the gas comes out (raised eyebrows plus shudder here) then using the dial on the filling tube to hopefully get the right amount of gas in. (In my head all perfectly feasible except for the legal aspect)

The valves arrived today the only problem is the end of the filler will be push on but the valves have screw fittings so i need an adaptor !the car version can end will fit the gas canister fine.

My question is pretty simple what the frick is 0.42" in anything? Unless you measure not the outside of the thread but the diameter in the bottom of the thread? Bolts are not my thing so threads and pitches not either! There are converters out there but i need the correct size to order one.

Thanks

Anyway i can bodge a brass car type shrader valve into the inlet valve but hopefully some kind soul will save me the bother,i had seen the identical valve with a shrader valve end unfortunately these have not just a hole and wider than a car type valve

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

dammit it cannot be fixed the gas is hydrogen ammonia and water

anyway all that writing stuff for nothing BUT i could use the valves on my water filtration system the pipes could be brass therefore a higher pressure could be used for more flow so the question is the same

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not so easy to get in small quantities here but i will have a look about but i would think the only source would be BOC in large amounts

Smallest amount so far is 6.5 kg my poor fridge only needs 760g lol.

On further googelising i found out its a high pressure system and steel tube (i obviously only soldered to the copper plating) so my valves wont pierce it anyway.

I will use them to upgrade my water filtration system so i can replace the plastic tube with copper so theres more flow as i use .22 microm pre filter which slows the system to a trickle so i went back to 1 micron

I still have to find out the size of the outlet which is 0.42" which is a very strange size but probably 5/16 or some long forgotten imperial or even american size?

No knowledge of numbers when i bodge i bodge to my size not other peoples lol

Looks like i will have to drag the backup 3 way from the loft ,may have a phone round to see if it can be done by a mobile refridgeration chap though i hate chucking stuff out

Edited by chesters1

What is it that measures 0.42" & what have you measured it with?

Could be a poor/ worn 7/16" (0.437")

Threads are always made a bit under size from new but 17 thou's, going a bit!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

With a digital micrometer ,large thread pitch as well which is strange.

I think a bog standard refridgeration twin dial dooda will fit it but havnt one to try nor know anyone to ask and theres a couple of different screw ends on those as well going by google

I must buy a new micrometer i borrowed and ancient one from the bloke 2 doors away but it only measures in imperial ,thinking about it perhaps thats a bit worn and the display hard to read .

I asked the seller ,i dont know he said i just sell them lol

The measurement is across the threads not at the bottom of the threads

Edited by chesters1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need a metric micrometer - Trust me, I'm an Engineering Inspector, Just need the Imperial mic' and a calculator.

25.4 is the Magic Number to use .

0.42 multiplied by 25.4 = 10.67 mm.(rounded up from 10.668)

Metric to Imperial is Divide by 25.4 - it's very precise.

You may want to by a 0-6" Digital caliper instead of a micrometer, they're near enough for home use & can be purchased from a fiver from a market stall or I paid about £18 for a better one from a hardware store (for home)

Might say 0 - 150 mm Caliper - Same thing - both have the convert button!!

They all have a button which makes them metric OR Imperial & two sets of jaws (caliper for outside, & Knife edge for Internal measuring)

The very very dear ones are really no better - just that they have a plug hole to connect to computer software.

You can also easily check hole positions as well!! Simpy measure one of the holes & press ZERO (sometimes called ORIGIN on some) Then measure to the outer edges of both holes - that's it done (two half holes = a full hole IF both are same size)

Just remember to close the jaws together & re- zero to get them back as normal.

Edited by Martin56

The Digital Caliper is a much more versatile tool than a micrometer for home use AND has a wider measuring range!!

The hardened Knife edges can also be used as an Accurate scriber for marking out - just use a black felt marker for background.

The pointed Internal jaws can be used as a pair of compasses - centre pop a mark & set caliper to half the circle.

(didn't want to be pulled up on a point of order by calling it a compass by a "More Mature" shall we say, scholar - lol)

Edited by Martin56