Harrison float rods

Sportsman

I am in the market for a new float rod to fish my new river. I want to be able to fish for anything from roach and dace through to chub, barbel or the occasional carp, so it needs a bit of backbone. I anticipate trotting or rolling baits or possibly light legers.

I have been offered a couple of rods that I know are popular with a few respected anglers on here and would appreciate opinions on their suitability.

The rods are 15' GTI SU and 13' GTI SU

I know that these are powerful rods and have no problem with their ability to handle powerful fish, what I am wondering is are they too powerful and will I be overgunned.?

From what I hear the barbel don't get much bigger than 5lb and a 4lb chub would be a good one.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I think that both of those are more than you need for the job, the 15' GTI (non SU) hollow tip will easily deal with fish of that size and even that might be overkill. A more important consideration is the weight, the GTI blank is getting on a bit now and it's quite heavy compared to more modern Drennan (for example) blanks, if you'll be trotting for any length of time It will become a chore to hold.

I'd look at the Acolyte range but perhaps avoid the 15' Acolyte plus, I've heard of too many breaking.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks Rusty

I was sort of thinking that, hence the question.

I will look around a bit more

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Have a look at the 13 Foot J.W. Young's Specimen Float Rod 10542 around £65.

Handles just like a Match rod but bends to the Butt with a donkey on it with the "Progressive Action".

Trots all day long.

Mine is rated 5 - 8 Lb main line.

There's also enough "Tip Action" for the small silvers.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I am in the market for a new float rod to fish my new river. I want to be able to fish for anything from roach and dace through to chub, barbel or the occasional carp, so it needs a bit of backbone. I anticipate trotting or rolling baits or possibly light legers.

I have been offered a couple of rods that I know are popular with a few respected anglers on here and would appreciate opinions on their suitability.

The rods are 15' GTI SU and 13' GTI SU

I know that these are powerful rods and have no problem with their ability to handle powerful fish, what I am wondering is are they too powerful and will I be overgunned.?

From what I hear the barbel don't get much bigger than 5lb and a 4lb chub would be a good one.

There are some good all round float rods out there Dave, but I think you need to buy an Avon rod first, as any good float rod that's soft enough in the tip for silvers, isn't going to last long rolling baits around and light ledgering. IMO their Just not built for it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Some decent rods suggested above but while you are in the shop also have a look at the 13ft Drennan Tench float rod (line ratings 3 to 8lb) or the Drennan Tench and Specimen float rod (line ratings 3 to 7lb) which has a semi through action with a fast tip for the silvers.

I use both of these for trotting a float on the rivers and streams that I fish when Barbel or Carp are expected and they have both handled fish like Dace and Chub equally well on the float.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

All,

I've caught a fair share of fish. I personally can't believe the rod independent of environmental conditions make that much difference. Especially true when dink fishing. I am of the school that says "location, location, location."

Chances of experiencing the outside 1/2 percent is so remote a rod "in the ball park" is usually quite suitable. Having said that, there is no reason I own so many fishing rods - (gulp)

Phone

Phone - conflicting requirements, casting light float gear, 12-15 foot length for controlling the line at distance, having enough backbone to handle bigger fish and enough softness not to break fine hooklengths or bump tiny hooks and being light enough to hold in the hand all day. A rod that does it all well is quite a well designed tool and needs to be chosen with care.

• Like 2

Steve,

This is, of course, an old saw. Your drivel is nonsense trying to justify expensive British kit. Much like Tigger and Rusty's reels. Today's rods are the best ever at reasonable prices due to extreme competition. Forty dollars will get you an excellent rod that was the winner of ICAST 2016 best in show. There are good ones that meet your criteria for much less (although I doubt much is available over 10').

As long as you know - spend whatever you like. Lord knows I did.

Phone

Phone - short spinning rods are junk for this style of fishing. May as well recommend best screwdriver in show when what's needed is a torque wrench.

• Like 1