artificial sweetcorn

The Flying Tench

Does artificial sweetcorn work with all types of feed, or only with real sweetcorn?

I forgot the maggots today. My plan was to use hemp in the feeder with maggot hook bait, going on to tares if the fish were biting. Without the maggots I tried a tare for 20 minutes, without a touch. I lacked confidence as I've never caught on tares using ledger, and then I thought 'Aha, artificial sweetcorn!' Again, 20 minutes with nothing, but I had some 8mm pellets and tried them - also nowt!

But for another time, is artificial sweetcorn a useful spare bait on its own, or does it only work with the real stuff as feed, with right smell etc. Without that do the fish consider it a useless bit of yellow plastic?

john clarke

That's my take on it John. The advantage of using plastic bait is that you can be confident it's still on the hook when your bait's in the water for a long time, to be effective the feed should contain the real stuff. I've tried trotting plastic maggots thinking that the fish wouldn't notice in the flow and with all the loose feed going in but bites stopped, a switch back to real maggots generated bites.

Anderooo used plastic hookbaits with great success, they do work in the right circumstances using the right method.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

That's my take on it John. The advantage of using plastic bait is that you can be confident it's still on the hook when your bait's in the water for a long time, to be effective the feed should contain the real stuff. I've tried trotting plastic maggots thinking that the fish wouldn't notice in the flow and with all the loose feed going in but bites stopped, a switch back to real maggots generated bites.

Anderooo used plastic hookbaits with great success, they do work in the right circumstances using the right method.

Dont forget he also had a tench on a hair rigged twig :lol:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I once bought some plastic "Pop Up" sweet corn online.

Great idea in principle I thought fished with Bomb/feeder.

Sank like a stone when tried in the kitchen sink!! (might have been in a glass of water??)

I've always had to pay to learn!! :doh:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I find artificial corn/maggots/caster work best with some sort of close concentrated feed - either a PVA bag or a method feeder, groundbait feeder or maggot feeder. I use an artificial maggot to supplement real maggots with a maggot feeder on a helicopter rig for tench and I'll make a corn stack with an artificial one at the top - this works with a groundbait feeder for bream or a method feeder for anything. I have used them successfully on both rivers and lakes - rubber caster worked for barbel over a bed of caster and hemp with the same in the feeder - in the days when there actually were barbel in the rivers around here.

For me artificials tend to work on a short hooklink and I think this is because they are essentially hoovered up by mistake while the fish are getting stuck into the feed items - so loose feed is too random - I like a pile of it with the artificial in the middle.

Hope that helps.

All,

Artificial corn works just fine over here. Visually fish are interested in object boundaries (the outline). Colors after a certain depth are used to catch anglers. In effect, all artificial baits are a "mistake" by the fish.

As to the question, "does it work only in the presents of the actual bait". Certainly there is no consensus answer. I do not "chum" with ground bait (bait that lays on the bottom of a swim) and only use artificial corn. The art of baiting a swim is pretty much a UK/Europe thing. No sense going into this debate. Opinions haven't changed in the two decades I've been on AN and I doubt they will because of this thread.

I am not the only opinion in the US. Paylakers follow Matthew's method using "packbaits" with artificial hook baits.

Phone

Personally i dont rate it.

Got some as a " tester " from a manufacturer, they claimed it would entice the fish to bite. Tried it on the River Trent for barbel, failed, failed failed. In the bin it went.

Best results i had, natural sweetcorn, a good make, i find they are better for hookbait, stay on the hook or hair rig longer than cheap frozen rubbish. I always added Archie Braddock barbel magic flavouring.

Dont know if the addative worked or the barbel were just hungry on that day.

39321_103294459727810_1887438_n.jpg?oh=7

And it also worked well with the chub.

39321_103294463061143_183333_n.jpg?oh=51

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Nice Barbel & chub there Andrew - Artificial baits probably work best in fast / streamy water where they don't have time to think about taking it - or not!!

:g:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!