A female Doctor...

Ken L

Certainly regarded with suspicion

Interesting read from an interesting source

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/Population-history-of-london.jsp

However the notion dark skinned people walked about in medieval times without being noticed certainly wrong despite what you see in the films

In roman times most romans were not roman but from bronze age times we dealt with foreigners from the farthest bits of navigable earth .

As a kid blacks were rare and one moving into the street very contentious (even in the late 60's)now you dont notice them ,now we have a new influx ,aldershot seems to be a prime relocation area i guess the powers think because the nepalese troops were nearby they can import any dark skinned people and the thick locals wont notice .

Theres a few blacks in farnham and even a african resturant opened but i never ever saw anyone in it and it closed now its an empty japanese resturant to serve the handful of japs that are spotted now and again the girls attending the college dress very strangely so i guess not born here

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I didn't suggest there were none here. My point was that they were not here in numbers and would certainly have attracted (at the very least) curiosity.

No Ken you said "The idea that black and Indian people were wandering around European cities in the 18th and 19'th centuries without attracting so much as a second glance is simply laughable."

Well it's far from "laughable" especially in cities like London, Bristol and Liverpool, but especially London.

East Indiamen had Indian crewmen. Posh folks had black slaves. Why would they have aroused "curiosity"?

A snippet from the link that chesters posted

"At the same time, international, and indeed global, migration (both economic and forced) became more significant. Following the end of hostilities at the conclusions of the Seven Years War in 1763 and the American War in 1783, a large number of black men and women from Africa, the Caribbean and North America settled in London. By the last quarter of the eighteenth century the black population of London is estimated to have been between 5,000 and 10,000. The outcome of the American War in particular also resulted in the establishment of a large American loyalist community, both white and black."

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Curiosity because they were foreign sailors and slaves ,in bristol probably the sailors were hardly noticed but whats a slave doing walking about ?

I notice dark skinned people around here and are curious back then more so i think

Like here most foreigners stayed in their ghettos so coming out would have raised both curiosity and suspicion ,i have no doubt i am treated exactly the same way detecting in the local moslem ghetto

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I do hate that phrase "social justice warrior" What does that make us Ken "social injustice warriors"?. Same with "do gooder" Does that make me a "do badder"?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Curiosity because they were foreign sailors and slaves ,in bristol probably the sailors were hardly noticed but whats a slave doing walking about ?

I notice dark skinned people around here and are curious back then more so i think

Like here most foreigners stayed in their ghettos so coming out would have raised both curiosity and suspicion ,i have no doubt i am treated exactly the same way detecting in the local moslem ghetto

What's a slave doing walking about ? Running errands for his master. You don't have a dog and bark yourself.

Hey, I live in one of your "ghettos" and I quite like it, thank you very much.

Edited by corydoras

As a piece of Saturday evening family fiction, I don't have a problem with the storyline.

I do have some sympathy with this point of view, though;

clicky

Edited by Steve Walker

I do hate that phrase "social justice warrior" What does that make us Ken "social injustice warriors"?. Same with "do gooder" Does that make me a "do badder"?

I had to look that up lol perhaps a do badder is just someone that doesnt agree with a do gooder they dont have to do the opposite to become one.

If you went down the immigrant route by numbers you wouldnt see any on tv perhaps a brown leg on a white person or in a group of a 100 maybe 3 or 4 black faces with a few fuzzy ones chucked in to represent the rest ,in london nearly half in the country perhaps a couple

I am surprised on out village census theres chinese people i have never seen one in the 30+ years i have been here perhaps they are busy in a hidden house raising weed for the london market?

Hey, I live in one of your "ghettos" and I quite like it, thank you very much.

I have no problem detecting in one either but ghettos are part and parcel of life through history ,safety in numbers is generally the reason and all the time they exist were never going to have a integrated society its just a pity they cannot be enforced in law i would like to live in one

I would also love to say this is our area (as in white english ) but unfortunately that can only be voiced by moslems it seems without the cops being involved

PS other forms of Islam are available

Edited by chesters1

What's a slave doing walking about ? Running errands for his master. You don't have a dog and bark yourself.

Surely that means you have to buy clothes for them ?blimey thats not a slave surely they must have a leash on so one alone must be escaping?

I suspect my form of slavery differs from others ,bloody softy slave owners whats the country coming to?

In the days of real slavery stuff came to you you didnt go and get it !shopkeeps boys brought it to your back door for the slaves to use ,cant abide poor slave owners who cannot follow the rules

Nowadays we go to them how times change

Edited by chesters1