Loosefeed is littering, apparently

Steve Walker

All,

In the UK apparentlyl there is no definition for the word "litter". Quote, "litter is a common English word". For example, spitting in public is littering.

There is however a specific definition for groundbait. "Groundbait is fishing bait that is cast into the water in order to attract fish to the fishing area. It is often used in coarse fishing."

It would seem to me a properly licensed angler with kit suitable for the circumstances is NOT littering.

GB is almost as nuts and the US

Phone

My late father-in-law once had a run-in with a car-park attendant over some trivial matter (vehicle about a quarter-inch too long for the parking space)

Pa-in-[aw's comment became a family saying

"Give a twerp a peaked cap and a rule book, and he thinks he's King Dick"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I as in Stratford-upon-Avon yesterday, and while my wife and daughter went shopping, I tried to find a quiet(ish) spot down by the river, (no chance). While I sat and watched the river, rowers, swans, ducks, and geese, etc, two young ladies came down to the waters edge. They looked of oriental decent, and looked very much like models, both in physical appearance, and dress. As pleasing as they were to the eye, I soon had to move. They had a large plastic carrier bag with them, which they opened to reveal 5 large unopened loaves of bread. They then started to throw it onto the water. First came a few ducks, then a couple of swans, and within 5 minutes, the area was a heaving mass of water fowl, with dozens of pigeons joining in on land. Despite my advice that it wasn't good for the birds, they just smiled and gave a look of 'silly old sod', and carried on. By now there were a few dozen onlookers, and the air was filled with at least a half dozen different languages, all seemingly excited by this spectacle. Then they all started vying for the best photo opportunity, while others arrived with even more bread to add to the feast.

If loose feeding is littering, the this was more like mass pollution!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I as in Stratford-upon-Avon yesterday, and while my wife and daughter went shopping, I tried to find a quiet(ish) spot down by the river, (no chance). While I sat and watched the river, rowers, swans, ducks, and geese, etc, two young ladies came down to the waters edge. They looked of oriental decent, and looked very much like models, both in physical appearance, and dress. As pleasing as they were to the eye, I soon had to move. They had a large plastic carrier bag with them, which they opened to reveal 5 large unopened loaves of bread. They then started to throw it onto the water. First came a few ducks, then a couple of swans, and within 5 minutes, the area was a heaving mass of water fowl, with dozens of pigeons joining in on land. Despite my advice that it wasn't good for the birds, they just smiled and gave a look of 'silly old sod', and carried on. By now there were a few dozen onlookers, and the air was filled with at least a half dozen different languages, all seemingly excited by this spectacle. Then they all started vying for the best photo opportunity, while others arrived with even more bread to add to the feast.

If loose feeding is littering, the this was more like mass pollution!

John.

That bugs the crap out of me that people think bread is good for wildlife.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

That bugs the crap out of me that people think bread is good for wildlife.

It is good for wildlife, those bell ends on spring watch don't know their arses from their elbows!

I even give wholemeal bread to my macaws and i'm handrearing six chicks now and a pair is back down on three eggs and the other pair are treading and digging out again....tey arn't the easiest of birds to breed either. I give them the bread from February to condition them.

Birds ( a lot of birds that is) eat grains and bread is made from...................... grains :).

I used to keep hedgehogs as a kid and I even bred those a good few times. As well as minced beef, eggs (no cat food either as the so called experts say is best for them) etc I gave them bread and milk which is supposed to kill them....yeah course it does LOL. I've no idea why these nature program people come up with this nonsense.

They'll be saying grass is bad for cows next!

Oh, forgot to say, raw meat is no good for dogs either, it's gott'a be cooked don't you know.

Edited by Tigger

Its fine if they are not gluten intolerant i presume ,bread and milk used to be the staple meal for ferrets and hedgehogs now we know better but i think bread is ok as a bolster to a natural diet but not a sole one.

Ducks do what most wild things do they eat as much as possible incase theres nothing tomorrow ,in the winter i have no doubt a little bread helps but i have a theory feeding wild birds may not actually help wild birds long term.

My theory based on nothing but logic is.....

Nature weans out the weak and sick in the winter by killing them ,healthy birds go onto raise fat chicks ,fat chicks survive better.

Natures provides a finite amount of food probably the rate turns out to be enough for birds ,enough to for bugs to reproduce .

Man steps in ,feeds birds keeping those that would die alive ,all well and good birdy survives we feel good.

Spring comes theres that finite food thing ,we didnt feed bugs so the bird population is larger than food source raising chicks ,more parents ,more eggs ,more chicks BUT less food to go round ! Thin or abandoned chicks ,less chicks survive to adulthood population goes down hill

Seems like its happening ,there seems to be less birds in gardens despite our 'helping' them but the truely wild birds we dont feed seem to prosper.

Talking of ducks absolutely no chicks this year ,coot managed to get its 4 out of the herons way and no geese either ,plenty of canadian geese at waverley abbey but feew chicks there also ,bad year for water fowl it seems

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It is good for wildlife, those bell ends on spring watch don't know their arses from their elbows!

I even give wholemeal bread to my macaws and i'm handrearing six chicks now and a pair is back down on three eggs and the other pair are treading and digging out again....tey arn't the easiest of birds to breed either. I give them the bread from February to condition them.

Birds ( a lot of birds that is) eat grains and bread is made from...................... grains :).

I used to keep hedgehogs as a kid and I even bred those a good few times. As well as minced beef, eggs (no cat food either as the so called experts say is best for them) etc I gave them bread and milk which is supposed to kill them....yeah course it does LOL. I've no idea why these nature program people come up with this nonsense.

Oh, forgot to say, raw meat is no good for dogs either, it's gott'a be cooked don't you know.

sounds like you know more than me on feeding habbits of birds but when you think of how many people daily feeding swans and ducks for example with nowt but white bread day in day out in large quantities something tells me that is not good for them.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Dunno about that, but my brother-in-law's goats would escape their pen from time to time and eat anything they could find except the grass on the lawn., Flower garden was favourite, kitchen garden next, then the hedge. They would even climb small trees to get at the lower leaves. There did not seem any plant they would not tackle.

As Jim put it "They only eat grass when they are desperate"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Dunno about that, but my brother-in-law's goats would escape their pen from time to time and eat anything they could find except the grass on the lawn., Flower garden was favourite, kitchen garden next, then the hedge. They would even climb small trees to get at the lower leaves. There did not seem any plant they would not tackle.

As Jim put it "They only eat grass when they are desperate"

I used to work for a farmer now long dead ,he used to make his own hay and did pretty well selling it at inflated prices once someone one made the mistake of saying their animals preffered his over others.

Was it a special hay? No it was just meadow hay minus docks and ragwort all the rest was several varieties of grass and weeds.

It seems nowadays even fields are 'cleansed' maybe just one variety of grass and little else ,ofcourse little else means no taste !even horses have taste buds i am sure they ate his hay because they liked it

No chemicals he used to say ,no but some poorly paid chesters pulling the stuff up be the roots or digging clumps out ,the smell of ragwort takes me straight back there

I learnt to drive in his bedford TK or rather jumped in at the end of a row and turned it to the next row ,he stood on the bales waiting for me to prong them up lol

He was a 'that'l doo 'type of bloke ,i got revenge saying told you so

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A friend of mine spent time working as a Chippie out in Qatar, he said the goats there used to eat the empty cement bags that were left around the site.

I've often read that bread is bad for ducks, but there's a small pond near me where the ducks are fed (mostly bread) virtually all day and every day by all and sundry. They've been surviving and breeding with numbers fairly stable for the 30 years that I've been here. The Muscovies have disappeared though.