Back To Basics - How To Use A Disgorger

Martin56

I've never seen a rusty hook come out of the river/water whether i've snagged some line with it still attached or it's been in a fish for many years, and that's even a hook that's been in water for a very long time! I've caught lots of fish carrying hooks, some with line and weights or feeders etc attached also and they look brand new! It seems most hooks have a protective covering of some kind or are made from non ferrous metals.

Tigger,

Just my suspicions, I bet you, and most UK anglers, don't own a ferrous hook. The other possibility is I am old. They may not even produce ferrous hooks any longer. (?)

You can find the test results for carp on the FAO site if you are interested.

As well you know, I'm not a bit opposed to a few fish dying at my pleasure.

Phone

I have several boxes of mustad hooks turning to iron oxide and they have never seen a fish lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We used to be able to get Crystal Forged Bronze hooks, now whether that meant Bronze plated, I'm not too sure & yes they would go rusty if any wet got into a box of them. A box of 100 Mustad size 18's for 25 pence (five shillings in our old money) in the 70's. So maybe not all that cheap thinking about it!! Average wage for a man being around 30 - £40 a week at that time

Tigger,

Just my suspicions, I bet you, and most UK anglers, don't own a ferrous hook. The other possibility is I am old. They may not even produce ferrous hooks any longer. (?)

Phone

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Tigger,

Phone

Every hook I have, or have ever used has been a ferrous hook, Phone. In fact the only times I've seen stainless hooks in use, have been for sea fishing, or attached to lures, and that's been pretty rare.

I wish more UK carp anglers had your thoughts on fish dying though, it might help bring a bit of balance back to the UK angling scene.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

gozzer, I am probably dating myself further or at least digging a deeper hole. I thought today's forged hooks had sufficient properties as to be non-ferrous. While it rarely happens and is quite unlikely, I may be full of shite.

Chester1, Yup, no doubt, I have several boxes of Eagle Claw or Mustad hooks up to size 2/0 in the same condition.

To clarify my statement. It has more to do with the carp body chemistry than the water. Only water temperature has an effect and that is because at 72f a carp is at it's healthiest and most active temperature. Again, at 72f a #1 hook lasts about 4 days in a carp's body. Up to 7 days in colder or warmer water. I'm not real sure how long an old tyre or shopping cart lasts.

Phone

If only we had carp big enough to eat tyres or trolleys to find out

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

gozzer,

I wanted to come back to this for a moment. Perhaps I should change my choice of words (ferrous). Today, hooks are manufactured from either high-carbon steel, steel alloyed with vanadium or stainless steel (stainless is horrible). Most brands produce excellent products that usually include some sort of rust protection. It is intended to dramatically lengthen the "good" fishing time of the hook. BAD FOR THE FISH.

First, a fish hook probably shouldn't be used a second day on heavily pressured waters. They do become wary of the electro-magnetic field all hooks produce after about 10 hours (depending on the ions in the water).

Still, using the word ferrous can be misleading. Even high-carbon steel is slightly ferrous. The BEST (yes I used the word best) fish hook for the fish, and probably the angler is a high iron content hook. Because they don't last long, they really are not cheap and they are a lot more work for the angler.

Phone

I can't remember retrieving any rusty hooks from a fishes mouth in freshwater but I recently had a look at a couple of my sea hooks which I'd put back into their packets the last time I had used them fishing off the beach and they were all rusted; I assume because of the salt in the sea water.

I don't usually keep used hooks (freshwater or sea) but for some reason (maybe because I'd had them on pulley rigs) I'd kept them in small plastic envelopes.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I can't remember retrieving any rusty hooks from a fishes mouth in freshwater but I recently had a look at a couple of my sea hooks which I'd put back into their packets the last time I had used them fishing off the beach and they were all rusted; I assume because of the salt in the sea water.

I don't usually keep used hooks (freshwater or sea) but for some reason (maybe because I'd had them on pulley rigs) I'd kept them in small plastic envelopes.

I never use a hook for more than one session for sea-fishing, Except Big hooks for shark, marlin, skate etc and hooks attached to lures. These I rinse under a freshwater tap when I get back to base and dry before putting away. Resharpen such hooks before re-use

In freshwater I never use hooks of #16 or smaller more than two sessions larger hooks I will re-use, but only after sharpening. and always dry them either on packing up, or if its raining, as soon as I get home

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...