T Rump and history

John S

Indeed Sporty, and thanks phone, it is hard for 'us' to appreciate the situation, I was minded, and to a certain extent still am, to lay a large proportion of the blame at the media, believing it is the same in this country.

I have an open mind on slavery, I have to have as my family crest depicts a black man chained to a tree by his neck and is indicative of their trade. I find it abhorrent and unacceptable and amongst these thoughts I also have to consider the thousands of Irish who were transported and indentured to sugar plantations (slaves) and the many thousands more who died from starvation in the potato famines.

I also consider the some 600,000 troops who gave their lives, not just for, but partially to end slavery. (Many of whom were of Irish descent).

But I had my eyes opened watching a Ross Kemp interview with a 'supremist' and listening to his views which should be consigned to the dark ages.

But none of that can be changed, nor should be forgotten, perhaps confined to some cupboard and locked away, as HG Wells discussed, you cannot change the past only the future.

Making an issue over a statue and discussing it in the media will certainly flame those on both sides.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Hugh,

Yup, I'd say, and just my opinion, the huge majority are not interested in desecrating history.

This is the first time, at least since WWII, the domination of the world and playing life as a positive sum game the United States cannot be trusted to use its extraordinary position to benefit not just the U.S. but all nations willing to "play by the rules". Trump is not interested in vindicating the principles of peace and justice. He doesn't like: Merkel, May, Macron, Jinping (sp China) or Putin; in Europe and Asia - Nieto and Trudeau, our neighbors North and Sous and just for the hell of it Argentine's dos Santos, where we get a substantial part of our oil.

At a time when the UK (IMO) needs (ed) to take the role of holding the fort as long as Trump is in office you're seeking your own blunder bust. We keep burning bridges with the cheese eating surrender monkeys (not my description, Trump's). How Germany ends up a center pivot of world events time after time astounds me.

Phone

All, (Hugh)

I will try without expressing my personal opinion to offer an impossible explanation.

With the end of the Obama administration and the election of Trump racism has become extremely polarized (again). Mr Trump has a penchant for chaos on a world order that only he can rectify. He is a white superiority "nationalist". Other examples of his political persuasion that come to mind - Immigration, North Korea, a trade war with China and the efficiency of servitude slavery . Among America's elected leaders, only President Trump saw a nobility of purpose in the "counter protests" by white bigots hoisting torches symbolic of our KKK, reviving old Nazi chants, all reinforced from the "bully pulpit". The message is clear, the fate of WHITE America, the only one that counts is NOW at stake. In American history we think of folks like George Wallace or segregationist Dixiecrat Strom Thurmond. White militia openly carry weapons to "protect" America while angrily screaming vile and racist slogans.

It is impossible for me to explain the race issue in America to a foreign guest. Most of our differences are exaggerated, fueled by uncompromising ignorance. Fewer that 10% of Americans read a daily newspaper. The Civil War is not over. There were actually multiple "causes" for the Civil War which were mostly settled by 1865 But not slavery.

While contemplating the fate of Confederate statues in both the North and the South - 323 people were shot to death in Chicago - 90% black.

Phone

Not to me Phone. I still remember the day when a fine Southern Gentleman spat on me for holding a drug store door open for an elderly black lady in Mobile, Alabama.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

As horrific as that is - I'm sure it happened. Add to that - now in the 21st century the damn guy would be armed.

Phone

That was in 1980 Phone.I can even remember what I went to the drug store for. A bottle of Prell Shampoo and a bloc of notepaper to write home on.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Damn yanks using shampoo as ink no wonder they cannot read!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Like 1