#11 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

As a general rule, cross between two species = hybrid

Cross between two strains of the same species = mongrel (as in dog breeds)

Having said that, i misused "mongrel" in #5 !

....and nobody is to start pontificating on what constitutes a species  :crazy:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#12 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,730 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

You have to be careful when talking about "hybrids" - the term is used for both interspecies hybrids, as we're discussing here, and crosses between different strains of the same species. Those different strains of carp are all Cyprinus carpio. When you buy F1 hybrid seeds from the garden store, both parents are the same species of plant, they're just different varieties of it. When they stock "F1s" in godforsaken British carp puddles, they're stocking a cross between a common carp and a crucian carp or brown goldfish. We're talking the difference between a cross of two different breeds of horse, and a mule.

Sexist beast dont forget hinnies or hinnys?!?

Hmm is it male crucian mating with female goldfish an F1 or is a male goldfish and female crucian a nascar?

Edited by chesters1, 16 October 2017 - 03:54 PM.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#13 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

All,

Thanks Steve, yes, the exact reason I put "hybrid" instead of hybrid.  I still believe searching "FAO hybrid zone"  (with species of interest tagged at the end) is the proper source.

At the risk of appearing pedantic here is everything you're likely to ever want to know about "carp" 

http://www.fao.org/f...rinus_carpio/en

Phone

PS: I still cannot remember the proper word for "hybrid zone" fishes ?????

#14 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

All,

Ha ha , I'm back with this gem.  The internet is an amazing mish-mash isn't it.

Who in heaven's name would ever need this?

http://currents.plos...of-bony-fishes/

Phone

#15 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,730 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

All,

Ha ha , I'm back with this gem.  The internet is an amazing mish-mash isn't it.

Who in heaven's name would ever need this?

http://currents.plos...of-bony-fishes/

Phone

No good to me my two braincells can just about use the link !whats in it is nothing to do with sprouts or anything at village idiot level

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#16 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

Chesters1,

I am far closer to the village idiot that you.  I've no clue what they are going on about.  BUT I read parts of it twice, the results were the same both times.

Phone

#17 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,730 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

I take great pride in my village idiot status ,i will except you can be a stetson wearing american version though as your no competition to my village ,chawn fine but no mention of grits please !
OH on searching to make sure chawn seems to be different today to the 50's cowboy book where it was chewing tobacco!?!