Travel rod

The Flying Tench

Tell me if this isn't always so, but my understanding is that on air flights nowadays you can't take rods in the cabin, and it's expensive to take them as an extra item of hold luggage, so a travel rod needs to be something that will go in a suitcase. I've just bought a John Wilson Avon Quiver travel rod, and I should have checked the length when packed. Alas, it's 75cm, too long for my suitcase. So I'll probably return it.

Can anyone recommend a travel rod that's a bit shorter, say 65cm or less? I want it for general fishing, anything from coarse ledgering to harbour fishing to float fishing.

Thanks

john clarke

Have a look at the NGT range. My little 3m has landed from gudgeon to carp just under 20lbs

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Good shout wotnob - I have 3 of these (all same at 9 foot - 4 piece) & was just going to post same.

Very well made.

I've had mine 3 or 4 years now & they fit very well in a large suitcase & comes in a cloth, sewn 4 section, folding bag.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjGtLmcqNPXAhUpvu0KHWx4DhIYABAXGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASEuRobSOhqUnxFgvNWVXbtMonXQ&sig=AOD64_1o-wXUDGwL_eT6Xp01RJJUyt6sTg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjunbScqNPXAhWZF8AKHRfhDCAQ9aACCEs&adurl=

There's just 2 left on this one so best look sharp!!

Might fit Diagonally in a smaller case?? or could go down the Telescopic route??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Good shout wotnob - I have 3 of these (all same at 9 foot - 4 piece) & was just going to post same.

Very well made.

I've had mine 3 or 4 years now & they fit very well in a large suitcase & comes in a cloth, sewn 4 section, folding bag.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjGtLmcqNPXAhUpvu0KHWx4DhIYABAXGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASEuRobSOhqUnxFgvNWVXbtMonXQ&sig=AOD64_1o-wXUDGwL_eT6Xp01RJJUyt6sTg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjunbScqNPXAhWZF8AKHRfhDCAQ9aACCEs&adurl=

There's just 2 left on this one so best look sharp!!

Might fit Diagonally in a smaller case?? or could go down the Telescopic route??

Here's a 3 metre (10 foot) Tele' 62 cm closed!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Pioneer-Telescopic-Fishing-Rod-3M-10FT-Cork-Handle-Carp-Travel-Coarse-rod/360765629613?epid=1612729638&hash=item53ff4ea4ad:g:MA0AAOxyeZNTRFps

No Bag with this one but would expect it's at least in a thick clear plastic packet with a press stud flap??

Just 3 left (he says) but 333 sold (he says) Sellers feedback rating looks good @ 99.8%. (which is the 1st thing I look at before buying)

Edited by Martin56

Here's another good tip FT.

I take my Korum fishing bag onboard as my hand luggage - but only filled with all our shoes.

Hooks, floats, knives, disgorgers, weights scissors etc are in a plastic box safely in the suit case.

When we get there it's then my fishing bag.

On the return journey - the shoes are swapped back in.

It's perfectly fine - done it loads of times.

No - I don't have a shoe fetish!! - but it does save on the luggage weight allowance - what with all the tackle!!

Edited by Martin56

Thanks WNB and Martin for helpful comments. I should have said that I have a 9ft telescopic rod, maybe not quite as good as your suggestions, but not too bad. The weakness is, like your rods, that it doesn't have a quiver tip. I know there are other ways of ledgering, but a quiver tip is so convenient, even for ultralite lure jigging, for example. So I guess what I'm hoping for is a travel rod with a quiver tip. Maybe I just need a bigger suitcase!

john clarke

Thanks WNB and Martin for helpful comments. I should have said that I have a 9ft telescopic rod, maybe not quite as good as your suggestions, but not too bad. The weakness is, like your rods, that it doesn't have a quiver tip. I know there are other ways of ledgering, but a quiver tip is so convenient, even for ultralite lure jigging, for example. So I guess what I'm hoping for is a travel rod with a quiver tip. Maybe I just need a bigger suitcase!

OK - so get a screwed tip eye (like I did for mine) A ciggie lighter easily melts the hot glue to get the old one off, then simply Epoxy (2 part Araldite) the new eye in place. (Or hot glue if you have some) The shop I bought my screwed eyes from had some in Old Stock.

Some eyes have prongs either side as well so can be whipped on. Like the one below :-

The PRONGED TYPE are much more forgiving for rod end size, ie you might only need to sand a small chamfer to get a bit of location in the hole of the eye.

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/7113

If you can't do whipping?? just push & glue a piece of tight fitting, electrical wire sleeving over the rod end then push the prongs down inside & glue in place "Before the glue sets" !!

Have a DRY RUN before you commit to the gluing!!

Edited by Martin56

Having used travel rods for years, I'd say stay well away from telescopics.

I have the two piece version of the NGT quiver rod and it's very nice.

This year I bought myself a Shakespeare Agility 4 Section pellet waggler which has done well as a backpack rod for after work sessions and that range also includes a feeder rod for you to consider although the supplied tube isn't robust.

Generally, when I'm fishing abroad, I put my travel rods in a length of drainpipe with end caps and strap it to a backpack. This system has served me well and is much better than full sized rods in a KISS or Bazouka tube.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.