'Tis the season to be.....

John S

.....inundated with televised begging letters from charities.

Is it just me who's getting fed up with charities begging for money for everything from polar bears, kids, snow leopards, kids, donkeys, kids, dogs, kids & etc? Don't get me wrong, I do give to some charities (British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research, RNLI, a couple of animal charities (but not the RSPCA or RSPB)) but every time I turn on the TV these days I see another plea for Nada the Snow Leopard, Umby the starving kid, Billooby who has to carry water 3,000 miles from the nearest river to her village whilst fighting off snow leopards on the way. £3 here, £5 there, £29 somewhere else, the list goes on and on and on. Last year there were 60 charities all begging for money on TV during December, this year looks like that number will be surpassed easily.

And what does this achieve? From me, a complete turn off. Nada. Nothing.

Also, stop putting plastic bags through my letter box! In the past 2 months I've had plastic bags from 15 different charities all wanting my old clothes. How many old clothes do you think we have? All you are doing is wasting your time and money, all those bags go straight in the bin.

d020.gif

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Not just on television John, but knocking at the door. They all say that their particular cause is the most worthy, (I don't know if they are paid to say it). My usual reply is that I have causes that are close to me and my family, ie, cancer research, and The Noonans Society, so if I gave to others, then these would suffer, most seem to respect that. and leave. One thing I have noticed is the number of attractive young females that come round fluttering their eyelashes, and pretend flirting, to persuade you to donate, it must work for some.

As a true Yorkshireman, I'm shocked that you throw those plastic collection bags away, I recycle them as storage bags, rubbish bags, I even keep a couple in my tackle box, they have loads of uses. If you read the small print on many of these bags, they are not delivered by the charities, but businesses that donate a small percentage to the charities, so I don't feel any guilt about using the bags.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The only people we have knocking on the door at Christmas are the local Sapeurs/Pompiers (firefighters/rescue/Paramedics)

They come around every year selling their calender for donations.

As the local crew are part time volunteers I think they deserve a donation and at my age I may need them, so I always give generously.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The only people we have knocking on the door at Christmas are the local Sapeurs/Pompiers (firefighters/rescue/Paramedics)

They come around every year selling their calender for donations.

As the local crew are part time volunteers I think they deserve a donation and at my age I may need them, so I always give generously.

I'd buy from them too if they did the same around here. I'm also a fairly frequent visitor to one of the local Dove House Hospice charity shops, especially if I'm looking for something to read or to buy as a raffle prize at a local astronomy club.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

We never get cold callers ,girls fluttering eyelids would be welcome .

As for the charities there's near on 200,000 of them and rising by 5000 a year ,lucrative stuff and we (the tax payer) stump up 25p for every quid they make .

I only give to the rnli and mcmillan nurses ,my Mrs donates via scratch card!

We tour the shops to see if an obese person has died lately but the prices are getting stupid ,a primark £2.50 t shirt stickered at £5 and we spotted a regatta waterproof at 14.99 ,we bought a brand new one for 13.99 !

They seem to have forgotten charity begins at home.

Surely that black kid is about 23 now with charity raising kids of his own?

Wouldn't touch any other scratch cards but the nat lottery ,the other main ones seem to all be the same group who give money raised to other charities of the same group!

When I say buy its for the Mrs I have only did one myself and I lost !

Another gripe is super heated shops ,if you want to make your money go further turn the fricking heater off .

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've got a mute button on my remote for when the ads come on - and a timer in my head to know when the five minutes is up. I can do all sorts of stuff in those breaks.

I don't have a problem with making contributions to charity but I won't sign up for a direct debit to do it - we get far too many of those calling round.

..........as for those bags that come through the letter box, if some-one were to put one through that didn't say "No bric-a-brac" they'd probably make a killing. My old clothes get used for rag, it's usually all they're fit for when I've finished with them.