Unusual fruit and veg

Ken L

I've finally got around to getting some interesting fruit and veg for the garden.

The steep south facing slope now sports loquat, persimmon and peach trees - although I think I may have to move the peach to somewhere where I can keep it dry in winter.

I have a pomegranate bush to replace it.

In addition to the usual gooseberries, currants and raspberries, I have some blueberries, haskap and a goji-berry bush.

As well as apples, cherries, pears and plums, I have quince and apricot.

I have some globe artichoke seeds ready to go in and in the fridge, I have more seeds going through cold stratification and am hoping to get some saskatoons and paw-paws to grow.

I tried to get jujube to go last year but couldn't get them to germinate

Am I missing anything?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Mulberry ,messy but tasty

Kiwi easy but you need both sexes

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Cul de chien (dog's arse) or medlars and quince. Do you think you'll get persimmons to fruit in the UK? The only place I have seen them grow in in the South of France and Corsica.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The only place I've ever seen mulberry was in a mates garden in NSW. As you say, messy to pick and eat but although sweet, there wasn't much flavour.

Tried growing a self fertile kiwi called "Jenny" before now but it's a thug of a plant and try as we might, we couldn't get decent sized fruit. Short of a field and wire supports, I don't think I'd try again.

One of the plum trees needs to come down and I'm thinking sloes for gin if I can get to some bushes that I know that produce huge fruit for scion wood before their leaves burst.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

To be honest, I'm aware of medlars but have never tried them.

I know people have ripened persimmons in a standard garden in Kent and I have mine in in a near perfect microclimate with 14 hours of sun and shelter from both easterly and westerly winds - we'll see. The tree is only about 2m high at the moment but put on masses of growth last year.

The loquat is an outlier but it's fully hardy and looks most impressive when it has its summer leaves.

Edited by Ken L

Passiflora but like snow dont eat the yellow

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have had medlar jelly. I was not that impressed. Like persimmons and quince the require "bletting" ;-)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

The goose ate our quinces it also loved chestnuts and was adept at removing them from their spiny cases

Edited by chesters1

The goose ate our quinces it also loved chestnuts and was adept at removing them from their spiny cases

I've had goose stuffed with chestnuts ib France for Christmas dinner.

If I had the space. I'd consider a hican tree - but they get BIG!

Edited by Ken L