3 replies to this topic

#1 Si...

Si...

r0x0r5

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Lets hear (and see) what you've been catching, no matter how big or small. 

#2 Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Had my first eel trip of the year on Saturday.

They're still not extincted. Five between approx 2.5 and 3.5lb plus lots of dropped runs.

#3 Ken L

Ken L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,786 posts
  • Interests:Chucking lures, Martial arts and as much travel as possible

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

Only two sessions so far. The first was with a fly rod on the reservoir on a tough day, a few pulls but no trout and just a little perch to my name. The other was a couple of hours (literally) on the local park pool. Two bites for two bream and they've grown a bit since I last fished it. I will definitely give it another go but I will have some stodge to attract and hold the fish.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima.  Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.
Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullen's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.
Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub. 
Species caught in 2014: Striped catfish. Pacu. Giant gourami. Clown knife fish. Rohu. Siamese carp. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Roach. Bream. Perch. Rainbow trout. Chub. Common Carp, Ide. Brown Trout. Barbel. Mekong catfish. Jullen's golden carp. Alligator gar. Java barb.
Species caught in 2013: Mangrove Jack. Barramundi. Blubberlip snapper. Baracouda. Malabar grouper. Yellowfin Trevally. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Roach. Pike. European Eel. Bleak.
Species caught in 2012: Northern whiting. Moray eel. Barramundi. Snakehead murrel. Silver razorbelly minnow. Deccan Mahseer. Malabar mystus. Deccan rita. Spotted Malabar Grouper. Mangrove Jack. Indian sea catfish. Brown Trout. Chub. Perch. Roach. Rudd.
Species caught in 2011: Indian sea catfish. Sardine. Barramundi. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Record Humpbacked Mahseer. Yellow Fin Trevelly. Giant Trevelly. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Pike. Atlantic salmon. Dace. Minnow. Roach. Gudgeon. 
Species caught in 2010: Barramundi. Giant Trevelly. Moray eel. Indian sea catfish. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Humpback Mahseer. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Bass. Pike. 
Species caught in 2009: Chub. Perch. Pike. Pacu. Thai Striped Catfish. 
Species caught in 2008: Barramundi. p-i-k-e-y sea bream. Indian sea catfish. Guitarfish. Mangrove Jack. Mahseer. Squid (Not strictly a fish but it took a lure !). Emperor Sweetlip. Black Spot Snapper. Moray eel. Spangled Emperor. Bluecheek silver grunt. Yellow striped emperor. Vanikoro sweeper. Pike. Perch. Brown trout. Chub. Atlantic salmon.

#4 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,050 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Just had a session on a gravel pit   Fished for perch, one evening, the next day, and the following morning

Evening - three bites, all within half an hour, yielded three perch, all over a pound, with the best 2-4  What was interesting was I fished in the teeth of a northerly gale - so fierce  my eyes watered enough to blur vision and make tying hooks on difficult   Now, received wisdom says perch do not like windy conditions and I nearly did not go.   Food for thought. 

Next day, wind dropped to a gentle northerly breeze, with bright sun  Fished 8am to 9pm    Just one bite, at 8pm    Perch 2-14   What a difference one decent fish makes to an otherwise blank day !

Following morning, same conditions as previous day   Fished  8am to about 1 pm.  Perchless, but two bites produced eels of 2-12 and 3-0

Had a measure of how much energy is needed to cope with eels once landed,   Once the eel is on the bank, one's troubles are just beginning.  All my life I have just dealt with the beggars without much thought, but at age 84 with anginal problems, I can now  measure the energy expended by the number of squirts of nitroglycerin I need to restore circulation to normal,    ....and these were lip-hooked - I'm glad there was no deep hooking to deal with.

I fished two rods throughout - one with running paternoster baited with lobworms - no bites.  All fish caught on other rod, baited with a bunch of maggots on a simple ledger rig (short trail)   Bite indication by watching rod-tip

Just got a new camera (previous has given up the ghost) so now to find out how to transfer the pics to PC - its all go, this fishing lark.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...