Expander pellets

The Flying Tench

I met a couple of pole fishermen today who used expander pellets to good effect with silver fish. My question is how usable are they with an ordinary float rod. How would you get the feed, which looked like 1.5mm pellets, in?

Presumably they'd work OK with feeder?

Am I right that the purpose of them is a bit like paste - being soft, the fish will suck them in?

John

john clarke

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the pellets were 1.5mm. A normal size would be 6mm

I use 2mm micro pellets as feed and I wouldn't want to try to get on on a hook

They are very soft so it may be a problem with them staying on the hook during casting.

You will also need a pellet pump to get them to sink

Have you tried soft hooker pellets? They are available in loads of colours and flavours and tend to be slightly more robust than epanders

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks, Sportsman

I didn't mean the hook pellets were 1.5mm, that was the feed. It could have been 2mm as you say. I was wondering how to get the feed in without a pole cup, though I suppose catapult would work.

Yes, I've used hooker pellets. It's just these guys seemed to be doing so well with expanders! I guess with cold water there was less feed value in them than the hooker pellets which I've used.

john clarke

Another option is to add gelatine to the water that you pump the expanders with, to produce a more robust "jelly" pellet

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Tench,

Are you admitting or even suggesting you are angling for silver fish?

Phone

As opposed to what phone? You chasing oversized mutant 'gold' fish?

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

Gozzer, well - I wouldn't want to start anything but this is a fishing forum

Phone

I'm sorry, there was supposed to be a little 'smiley' at the end of that post phone, to show I was only teasing you.

However I do dislike the term 'silvers' to describe any UK coarse fish other than carp, which incidentally is also just a another coarse fish.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

No appology necessary. Thin skin is not one of my traits. I knew I could get someone to rise to the bait. (other than you, you're a full fledged sucker.)

Phone

I'd smiley if I knew how

Hi John,

I match fish mainly and use expanders alot, for skimmers/bream and for carp.

They can be used on the waggler for skimmers, usually feeding a few of the same by catapult.

As you guessed, can also us a little cage feeder to feed wetted 2mm pellets with an expander on the hook as long as it is just a short chuck.

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)