Expander pellets

The Flying Tench

A #2 shot for Shotguns measures 0.15" (inches) or 3.81 mm.

It seems the standard for shot varies from country to country, although the standard for Olympic Clay/Skeet shooting will have strict controls so it's the same for all competitors.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pellets are extruded through a circular die in manufacture, the pellet size is the diameter of the die.

Shotgun pellets are the same sizes as split-shot used as float fishing weights and the classification is by weight (there is no No.2 shot) :) :-http://www.silksworthlakes.com/splitshotweightsizeratios/

Yes ayjay Pellets are, but shot are not manufactured through a circular die - they are still (as far as I'm aware, but will stand corrected) made in a "Shot Tower" see below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower

Edited by Martin56

Things have moved on maybe a bit since shot sizes were quoted as the species of Animals they were designed to kill ie Buckshot. Swanshot (But still stand loosely even today) Here's some examples.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/shotgun-shell-sizes-comparison-chart-terms/

A 12 Bore or Gage Shotgun (Gauge in the UK) is the size of a ball equivalent to one twelfth of a pound of lead.

A 12 Bore Barrel = 0.729 Inches diameter.

Edited by Martin56

Yes ayjay Pellets are, but shot are not manufactured through a circular die -

If you can show me where I may have suggested that shot are extruded I'll be able to try and avoid making the same mistake again.

If you can show me where I may have suggested that shot are extruded I'll be able to try and avoid making the same mistake again.

You are right ajay - you didn't - I realised that & tried to correct that by editing - I clearly didn't cover my tracks well enough, sorry mate.

You are right ajay - you didn't - I realised that & tried to correct that by editing - I clearly didn't cover my tracks well enough, sorry mate.

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my best results when float fishing for Tench using expanders on the hook when nothing else seemed to work. Saying that, most of my Tench fishing is on a deep pond where only an underarm swing is required, the pellets can easily come off the hook and can split easily when applying them to the hook.