Lessons learned the hard way

Steve Walker

While the fruit of the cashew nut tree is safe and delicious to eat, the shell of an uncooked cashew nut contains very unpleasant phenolic compounds similar to those in poison ivy, which cause immediate discomfort and serious contact dermatitis.

On the upside, it's now five days since I tried to open one with my teeth, my lips have stopped cracking and peeling, I got away with barely noticeable symptoms on my hands and the rash where I touched my forehead is going away. Big doses of antihistamines seem to have avoided the systemic rash people often get from doing this.

Bloody hell mate :doh: I do hope there are no more side effects.

Bet you wont be doing that again.

• Like 1

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Hows the playing coming on

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I've been concentrating more on singing and playing together recently, so I have been picking unchallenging guitar pieces. Anything too hard and it all goes to hell!

Its not an easy thing to do is it :wallbash:

“Vescere bracis meis”

Rubbing tummy / patting head. It's easy if it's a simple strum to the same rhythm as the vocals, but any rhythmic mismatch or complicated picking and I lose it. So Sound of Silence is picked intro and then straight into strumming when the vocals start :)

• Like 1

Met someone who did the same trick in India a few years back - I squirrelled away the interesting bit of trivia.

Just be glad you didn't rub your eye.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Also glad that I didn't do it by the tree, but back at the house. So I had running water, toothpaste and rum to clean the oil off my skin. Still managed to contaminate my forehead, which blistered a bit and peeled. I thought it was sunburn at first, but not for long. The very top layer of skin came off my thumbs, index and middle fingers but no real irritation (though it did cause a bit of trouble trying to transit the US, where their fingerprint scanner needed a bit of fiddling with to get a read).

I was rather glad of the fact that my girlfriend is a GP, though, as much for the reassurance as the treatment.

What is a bit annoying is that we were on a tour with a local guy who is a botanist and expert on the island's plants. He gave us the cashews without mentioning "Oh, don't try to open these". But I guess every kid there knows that and he didn't think to mention it!