Feeling old

gozzer

I was at the St Georges parade and fete, with the family yesterday. It was held at the local rugby ground, which had a rail fence running around the pitch. I'd been going over the fence all day as we moved around the fair. As we were leaving to head back to the car, I approached the fence and, as I had done at least a half dozen times that day, swung one leg over, then started to swing the other one over, so far so good. What I hadn't seen was a small hole hidden in the grass, right where I'd put my foot. As the second leg got about half way over, my foot on the standing leg, slid down the hole. (I forgot to mention that I had a cup of coffee in one hand, and a large umbrella in the other). As I proceeded to go rectum over cranium, I threw the coffee so I could use my arm to break my fall, but didn't allow for the umbrella catching on the rail and swinging me round. My arm hit the rail with some force, and I ended up on my back. As I started to get up, (thinking no one has seen me), someone grabbed my arm, and I heard a young voice ask if I was ok. Two guides from the parade had seen me fall, and rushed over to help

"Are you alright?".

I'm fine thank you.

​"Can we help you?"

​ I'm ok thanks, I'll be fine.

" Is there anyone with you to help you get home ?"

​ Yes thank you I'm ok, my family is here now.

​ "Well, if you're sure"

​ I'm sure, thank you again.

​ I've a swollen fore arm, with a large bruise, but the pain is nothing compared to my bruised ego, and slight embarrassment from having two young ladies rush over to help the 'poor old man who had fallen'.

:wheelchair:

​ John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

HaHa

Know exactly where you are coming from.

I was walking out of our local Post Office, something I have done many times. There are two steps down, I thought that I was on the bottom one but I was still on the top. I took a large stride forward, into thin air. As you say, base over apex and laying on my back. Luckily the only thing bruised was my pride but that didn't stop a small concerned crowd from gathering and insisting they help this poor old English man who obviously couldn't be trusted to be out and about on his own.

I would love to say I immediately leapt to my feet, but that might be exaggerating a touch :D

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

But help was at hand, well done to the girls

Last time we had a puncture to our campervan in Australia was about 15 years ago, when I was still a strapping young man in my 60s.

I was still well capable of seeing to the job myself.

Nevertheless at least three other vehicles stopped to help . they almost came to blows as to who was to change my wheel.

By that time wisdom was beginning to overtake pride so I let them get on with it. Its good to know there are still such folk about.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yup, it was nice that they cared enough to offer help, although my (ever sympathetic) son did suggest that they were trying for their 'help a pensioner' badge. They gave him a nasty look when he took my arm and said, "Come on you old git, I'll help you home". I think he's inherited my sense of humour.

It's strange how your body seems much older than your mind. It's like that old C&W song, 'Outside I might be 40 and fading, but inside I'm still 23', (although I can add a few years onto the 40).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

gozzer,

You feel old because you are old. Better stick with dink fishing

Phone

I've a bit to go to catch up with you mate. :P

John.

many years ago my son was working for a furniture removalist.

He rang me and said he had a load going to Alice Springs did I want to go for a ride. ( We were in Adelaide )

we were about a 200ks short of Coober pedy when we got flagged down by a guy with an old van.

He gave us a piece of paper with a phone number written on it, he said can you ring that number and ask them to bring me a new wheel with a tyre

as I have buggered a wheel. I said well get your spare out and we will put it on for you. now this guy would have been in his late fifties early sixties.

he said I don't have a spare then opened up the van. it was packed with all kinds of stuff.

My son said so where are you heading, the guy says Im off round Australia, everything I own is in this van.

I recalled seeing a sign that said emergency phone 10 ks. I said told this to my son so we headed off.

The Emergency phone was in a layby. it was just a pole stuck in the ground and a sign that said push button for help.

We did that and got the police in Port Augusta, a fair way back. They said can you go back and tell him help is on the way,

somebody should be there in two or three hours.

We went back and told him and the relief on his face was a sight to behold.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/